Factory Speakers - Any Good?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Guys,

What are the factory speakers in the legnum's like? see they have splits up front? and i guees 6-6.5" in door all round?

What is the quality like? are they just paper type or a kevlar?

The speakers in my outlander are rokfords' and are awesome for stock speakers....

Cheers,

Brent

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Just a side note, what speakers do the Galants have in the back as they aren't in the doors? will they fit 6x9's on the parcel shelf?

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
I have no idea what material they're made of but my guess would be paper cones as my spkr in the driver's door has seen better days.

apart from that though I think they're pretty good - fiddling around with the EQ's on my radio generates some fairly decent and clear sound. Tweeters work well too.

Not being one of the those car sound fundis I'm not about to cram my bootspace with subs / amps etc. :)

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Yep having a play around with the sound today, the speakers in the car standard are pretty dam good, i wont be needing to upgrade for sometime. Might not have to listen to the dam bov now :)

G

Unregistered
standard speakers are ok...

but after a few years of use/weather abuse, the rubber surrounds tend to be weak/breaking down,

they are good at normal volumes, if you turn them up/overload them for prolonged periods of time they'll rip... normal volume they are fine.

personally ive changed all speakers in any car ive had.

my beleif, if im changing the head unit, to something better,
i may aswell do the speakers, to have the "complete" package.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
standard speakers are ok...

but after a few years of use/weather abuse, the rubber surrounds tend to be weak/breaking down,

they are good at normal volumes, if you turn them up/overload them for prolonged periods of time they'll rip... normal volume they are fine.

personally ive changed all speakers in any car ive had.

my beleif, if im changing the head unit, to something better,
i may aswell do the speakers, to have the "complete" package.

Agreed, I'd be frustrated if i had a mean deck and crap sound or the other way round.

My stereo is one of those Carozzeriaasdkjhas (basically Pioneer) single CD + MD it fills quite a big area. So if I ripped it out to fit something else the deck most likely occupy 1/2 the space. Do you know where I could get a filler like a plastic recess area or something like that?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
ryan,

you can get din size pockets that should solve your problem, as your headunit sounds like double din, if you put a single din headunit it a "din size pocket" will give you somewhere to stick stuff..

G

Unregistered
i agree with gly, speakers produce a good sound, but cant handle a thrash. having said that how loud do you need to go? whats not good is the std headunit itself...... i mean it is actually really crap. on a drive over half an hour it cant stand the heat from the engine bay and won't play, then you cant eject your cd. so you have to leave it off untill the car has cooled down. radio will still work, but that wont help on a long trip..frustrating!!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
having said that how loud do you need to go?
Quote loud, I'm afraid! Its a downward spiral - loud music damages your hearing, so you need loud music just to hear it, which damages your hearing some more, so you need to go louder still... Think I'll be hearing through my feet by the time I'm 50 :(

Seriously though, I like to be able to FEEL the bass, which means subs need quite a lot of volume, which means everything else needs a lot of volume to keep up with the bass. I stop somewhere between 'chest vibrating' and 'ear bleeding' bass ;)

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Cool thanks, I'll check them out when I get a new stereo, although I do enjoy it's police listening ability :p Ideally I'd like to use the left over space for some gauges...

happyvr4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charandeep
Drive
Mitsubishi legnum VR4
The standard speakers in my leggy sounded pretty good but surrounds had gone. After a week long research hearing out various speakers (I am in the trade and have access to many brands), it was decided that the original paper speakers sound better than most other speakers out there EXCEPT kevlar ones. I have now installed kevlar splits all round and they are awsome. A lot of clarity and sounds like I have a sub in the back somewhere.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
The standard speakers in my leggy sounded pretty good but surrounds had gone. After a week long research hearing out various speakers (I am in the trade and have access to many brands), it was decided that the original paper speakers sound better than most other speakers out there EXCEPT kevlar ones. I have now installed kevlar splits all round and they are awsome. A lot of clarity and sounds like I have a sub in the back somewhere.

What speakers did you end up choosing out of interest?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I think we're going to have to do a cost/benefits analysis of all the items on the list and start ranking them on most important to least..

Getting my tranny and AYC serviced is priority number one.
But how does an audio upgrade rank when compared to an intercooler for example?

Top Bottom