Filtermag in Australia

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I don't know how many of you are familiar with Filtermag, the company that makes magnetic oil filter 'accessories'. For those unfamiliar, basically what they do is attach to the outside of your oil filter and attract any metal particles in your oil towards the side of the oil filter. From reports I've read on Car Bibles and on a couple of other sites the amount of additional particle reduction gained by using one of these is fairly substantial, and thus the expectant lifespan of the engine is increased.

I've been in contact with the Australian distributor of these and gotten hold of their retail pricelist. If you're using the Ryco Z56B filter, you want the RA300 Filtermag. Not exactly the cheapest thing in the world, but then even buying a set of rare-earth magnets this strong would probably set you back almost the same amount, and then you'd still have to attach them / house them in some way, hopefully without them looking godawful. So to my way of thinking, they're a relatively inexpensive and worthwhile investment.

And who knows - if lots of people are interested in them, maybe its worth finding out if we can get a group discount?

They're also available from a few ebay distributors, but I think their shipping rates are quite exhorbidant so you only end up saving a few dollars over the Australian price.

Anyway here's the PDF pricelist for your perusal, which includes the company contact details. If you ARE interested and you like the idea of seeing if we can get a group discount, register your interest here and if we get at least ten people who want them I'll have a chat and see if that's something they're interested in :)

G

Unregistered
doesn't the A in 6A13TT stipulate the engine is all aluminum?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I wasn't aware of that, Mitch. Even if the head and block are I'd be surprised if the pistons, camshaft, crankshaft, pushrods, valves and gears were. Its certainly not impossible, just surprising if it was as I'd expect to have seen a lot of literature, jumping up and down and flag waving about this engine in that case.

G

Unregistered
sorry.. worded that wrong.. the block/head are supposedly aluminium (whereas a G specifies it to be cast iron)

the rest of the internals aren't likely to be aluminium, however i was just saying it will have a bit less effect on an aluminium block then cast iron.

it sounds like a good idea, but the oil itself is designed to catch all the swarf, etc. so i'm not convinced its worth $100+

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Cheaper, yes. Nicer? Not really.

Depends on the value you place on $100. Having read a fair bit of stuff recently about engine wear from small particles, its something I want to try to eliminate. I could do it for free by pulling a couple of HDDs apart (I have a stack of dead HDDs here) but it won't be pretty. To me, its worth the $100 to get a nicely finished product. But saying that, if we can save a few dollars then that's good too.

Not trying to talk anyone into anything here - I just found some info and thought I'd share :)

ahhh gaffa tape... where would we be without it!
Well movie credit reels wouldn't have 'gaffer' on them anymore, for one thing ;)

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
I wasn't aware of that, Mitch. Even if the head and block are I'd be surprised if the pistons, camshaft, crankshaft, pushrods, valves and gears were. Its certainly not impossible, just surprising if it was as I'd expect to have seen a lot of literature, jumping up and down and flag waving about this engine in that case.

I'd expect the Pistons are probably Cast Aluminium (Or Aluminum for you dopes who cant spell):p

G

Unregistered
haha... firefox uses an american dictionary... so aluminium comes up as wrong, although in my next post i got it right :p

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Cheaper, yes. Nicer? Not really.

Well movie credit reels wouldn't have 'gaffer' on them anymore, for one thing ;)

Trev,

Joking aside. Who would see it. You've got to lie on your back under the car to get to the oil filter.

I thought it was "gofer". As in "go for this and go for that. Although the correct spelling is gopher.

Oops. Stand corrected.

GAFFER

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Trev,

Joking aside. Who would see it. You've got to lie on your back under the car to get to the oil filter.
True. I'm anal about stuff like that, though - just knowing some gaff was holding something to my car would drive me nuts... but then, I'm a little unstable in the whole OCD department ;) :p

I live by the phrase "if its worth doing, its worth doing properly" *shrugs*

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I live by the phrase "if its worth doing, its worth doing properly" *shrugs*

It would have been good if the a-hole who did the clutch replacement on our car lived by the same creed. As I mentioned in another thread the damn thing is leaking fluids yet again.
:(:(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That's why I work on my own cars as much as possible - no one takes as much care of your car as you will ;)

Sorry you're still getting the run-around, Pete. Been through that exercise with pretty much every mechanic I've ever had, sadly :(

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Unfortunately I don't have the tools, patience or the know how to do jobs like that.

Anyway back to the topic.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That's why you need a... wait for it... English 6A13TT workshop service manual!! :D

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Perhaps, although their site doesn't list anything remotely like our engines, so I expect it would be a completely custom job... Anyone in Sydney want to be a guinne pig? ;)

Top Bottom