first service of VR4 after importing

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
This thread relates to the first service that we do to our VR4s on arrival to Australia.

The information below has been pulled from other threads about servicing, but joined together, so hopefully this becomes useful to others. I havent serviced mine yet, but I am compiling this info to make things easier for when I do get it done (hopefully very soon).

Please let me know if I have missed anything (and there a few blanks to fill in) or if I have made any mistakes.

What serviving related items are changed in compliance?
Brake pads
Brake fluid
Charcoal Canister (what is this? part number TAC-CAN-01)
Fuel Filter
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Wiper Blades

Checks to be performed:
Check timing belt condition
Check timing belt tensioner
Check water pump
Check condition of Power steering fluid

Fluids/parts to be changed:
Engine oil (use a fully synthetic 0w30 or 5w30)
Oil filter (use Z411 or Z142A - use Z142A - its bigger in size than Z411, but they both fit)
Flush cooling system (what coolant is recommended?)
Automatic Transmission flush (what fluid? new filter too?)
AYC diff flush (SP3? Is it just the fluid?)

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Charcoal Cannister is part of thye Emission Control System. Cannot be removed from the vehicle. If so, will breach ADR's.

Auto Trans fluid recommended is the SPIII I believe.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Oil and filter are done as part of compliance aren't they? or are you getting them changed again to be sure it's good stuff?

I don't think my wiper blades were done, they're really squeaky.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
my compliance consumer information list has "replaced oil filter" but nothing about replacing the oil. Seems odd they would replace one but not the other.

Is it the AYC diff that has 3 different fluids?

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Im about to send this email off to a few mechanics around my area, hopefully I get a good response from people that sound confident on working on this type of car.

Hi,
I have just imported a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR4. This is a 2.5L Twin Turbo V6 (6A13TT), awd, with ABS and Active Yaw Control. It has a 5 speed tiptronic transmission. It is close to 60,000kms. The car was recently complianced (only 400kms ago), so in compliance a few things were done:
replace brake pads
replaced brake fluid (dot4)
replace charcoal canister (????)
replace fuel filter
replace air filter
replace oil filter

So what I need done is a basic service (minus the items listed above - except oil filter - not too sure why this was replaced but no mention of the oil being replaced), as well as a check over some of the important components to make sure everything is ok. I need the auto transmission serviced as these are quite fragile in VR4s - so its important the fluids are changed often. I am considering getting a transmission cooler installed as well to help prolong the life of the gearbox - a price on the supply and fitment of one of these would be good. I have a bit of movement in the front right wheel, could be a possible ball joint, so this needs to be checked out and doagnosed, and fixed if its an easy fix.

A few things that need to be done include:
Need to check if timing belt has been changed recently (wouldnt hurt to check tensioner as well)
Check ancillary belts
Check water pump
Engine oil - 0w30 or 5w30 fully synthetic (any recommendations on brand?)
Oil filter - Z411 or Z142A
Flush and replace coolant
Check power steering fluid
AYC - check fluid - replace with genuine mitsubishi AYC fluid if required -the AYC needs 3 different types of fluids - isnt overly easy bleed - need the right systems?
Auto Transmission fluids flushed/replaced with Mitsubishi SPIII or Amsoil ATF
Diff oil?

Have I missed anything important?

If I could get a price on all of this (or itemised) or some feedback as to whether you are able to do the AYC or not, that would be great.

Thanks!

G

Unregistered
the transmission fluid is SPIII, not the AYC fluid
and yes, the AYC has 3 different fluids

i think you've got basically everything there..
transfer case fluid?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah auto's just need one sort, either Mitsi SPIII or Amsoil ATF, it is the AYC that needs 3 types. Any shop that is familiar with EVO's should know what to do.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
thanks guys, i'll edit the post

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
theyve changed from miles to kms? When did this happen?

Top Bottom