Fitting a boost controller

G

Unregistered
ok, whats the best way to fit a boost controller?

obviously you need a line off the plenum/intake, and tee it off to the two wastegates.. but whats the easiest/best way?

i had a look at a mate's GTO, but apart from being a mirror image, there seems to be differences on where to take the pressure line from, etc.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I was investigating this last night and there's a couple of articles on ClubVR4 including pics of where to fit a manual boost controller. I assume that would be the same spot as an electronic one?

Lee

G

Unregistered
yeah it would be...
i looked on ClubVR4 too.. but i'm not a member yet, so i cant see much :p

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Well if you PM me your email I may be able to "find" the pics for you

*ducks for cover from the ClubVR4 sniper...*

G

Unregistered
Hi Joel,

I have also used the Turbotech for many years and never had a problem with them. They hold boost very very well. Many on the SAU forums use them too.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
:D Sounds like a good topic for a "How to" with pictures. :D

G

Unregistered
There are a few threads on CVR4, but its not too hard, you just have to pull some bits off to get to the stock solenoid, if you are going with electronic boost control.

This pic should give you an idea, i used it like a bit of a road map until i figured out what was going where.

Attachments

• BoostEMU1a.JPG
    BoostEMU1a.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 172

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
You sure that it isn't the emissions control charcoal cannister? Most cars have them....

And on that diagram, where would you place a manual boost device? I assume that an EBC replaces the standard Wastegate sol/v?

G

Unregistered
i've made a how to thread, in the guides section. :)

G

Unregistered
You sure that it isn't the emissions control charcoal cannister? Most cars have them....

?

The canister is about half the size of a coke can and is attached to the top of the rear bulkhead. The emission control canister sits a bit below it above the gearbox

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
just another quick question for a turbo noob, is a manual boost controller safe, do they spike, and can anyone recommend one, and what boost to run on it safely, and the expected KW gain at the flywheel...???

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
a manual boost controller is perfectly fine. They do tend to spike a wee bit and you don't have very good control over them compared to an electronic, but for the price you can't beat them.

You won't get much more power, maybe up to 230kw, but you will get a huge amount of extra power through the mid range that will make the car feel 50% faster.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
lol, i just wish there was a $30 upgrade for N/A cars that gave that much power, lolz

Top Bottom