FL Galant Rear Spoiler Removal?

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
Hi all

Couldnt find a DIY for this and I'm excellent at applying too much force when not much is needed, in other words, i dont wanna break anything!

I have a factory rear spoiler (with brake light) that I'd like to know how to remove.

For whatever reason the front mounts of the spoiler dont like to stay put and pop out all the time (the rest of the spoiler seems super stable so im not too worried).

im wanting to just replace it with a lip spoiler.

does the back of the spoiler just pop out or is there some screws that i need to undo?

also, will probably test out this look before making it permanent and so will need a temp solution to fill in the old spoiler holes. can you get some rubber bungs for it? put in a plastic screw with a washer? something else?

tia

dEx

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
unfortunately due to the age of our cars, you'll most likely snap the plastic bit that holds it in place..

not trying to put you off or anything...

procedure's this..

1. open your boot.. you'll see x2 round rubber boots that you can easily unbolt, once removed you'll see a m6 bolt in there (you'll need 10mm deep socket and possibly extension, best to use is 3/8" drive set)
2. disconnect the spoiler's 3rd brake light connector, I believe its on the driver side (its been a while when I removed mine)
3. unbolt the 2x m6 bolts
4. use a screw driver to pry the spoiler upwards, I also suggest you use a rag between the car body panel and screw driver to avoid you form scratching your pain work

that's it I think

oh.. disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible if you scratch your car :D

and someone else will most likely confirm if there are 2x bolts or 4x

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
thanks!

ill give it a shot as soon as my lip comes in.

will confirm the steps and make this into a DIY in the Guides section :)

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
Only 2 bolts.
And if you're worried about scratching paint, get plastic panel remover, there are bigger so might work better.
If not, complete step 1-3, then shut the boot, place your hand under the spoiler, palms on the boot, use your arms as leverage and moving the spoiler UPWARDS.
worked for me. Disclaimer: it is a way I used, I can't held responsible if your wont work that way :p
Good luck.

Top Bottom