BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
@BCX Not the ones in our Legnums. They use heated wires which vary in temperature and hence resistance with the turbulence not ultrasonics.

You provoked me to have a look into it. Found this: https://patents.google.com/patent/US5728946
Karmen Vortex, but with two hotwires.

This might answer some of my questions I have with my speed density code for our ECUs. You've opened up a rabbit hole now :)

Back in the day, pulled a part a few Mitsubishi MAFs (era was older than 1996), and they were ultrasonic so assumed they'd be using the same tech.

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
@BCX Sorry for the rabbit hole, don't break any legs falling down it!

Yes the Leggie / 8G Galant ones are definitely the hot wire type and those 6.2 ohm resistors are in series with the wires, the voltage across them is used as feedback to regulate the current through the wires and the difference between them is processed to form the output signal. As the resistors heat up every time the car is turned on and cool again when it is turned off the different thermal expansion of the fibreglass circuit board and of the resistors causes a small lengthwise strain on the solder joints which become crystallized and eventually begin making an intermittent connection which becomes engine vibration susceptible, this causes the MAF to output ridiculously high frequencies which the ECU sees as needing heaps of fuel to match, that excessive fuel becomes impossible to ignite hence all the engine cutting / bucking. That is why I suggested a small wire loop to give some flexibility thus relieving most of that strain on those joints.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Just thought, it's unreal that I haven't come here for ages, tonight I decide to come and look, and I see the posts above from only a few hours before and needing a reply. How's that for co-incidence?
The universe was calling you ;)

Thanks, Tony, got it sorted. Yer is was super easy, just needed a grow a pair:LOL:

Top Bottom