Fog light problem

Taraska

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taraska
Drive
Black VR-4!!!!!!
Hi guys. I got some water inside my fog light. I removed it and tried to dry it but its so deep inside that hairdryer wouldn't dry it. Is there on other way of doing it? I tried to take fog light a part but i think its not passable.
Any idea?
Taras

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Mail it down here. I'll whack it in the sun for a day and it will be sweet!

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i've had the same problem taraska, i replaced the foglight as it would always fill back up even if i got it completely dry.

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
yea thats what i was going to say, you are probably best off replacing it

gtodave

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
david einam
Drive
galant 7g & 8g
drill a small hole in the front of the lense at the very bottom about 1mm and then the water will drain out.
you can pull them apart and reseal them they have 3 screws a few plastic clips and some sealant holding them together
put them in the sun to soften the sealant and pry them apart

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
drill a small hole in the front of the lense at the very bottom about 1mm and then the water will drain out.
you can pull them apart and reseal them they have 3 screws a few plastic clips and some sealant holding them together
put them in the sun to soften the sealant and pry them apart

yeah~ it works. i did this on my mum's old accord on the side indicator. it will dry in about 2 days. when it was dry, i just left it. ir worked fine

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You can pull them apart, the lens is held to the body with sealant that can be heated. Put it in the oven at 100°C for five minutes and you'll be able to prise them apart.

Taraska

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taraska
Drive
Black VR-4!!!!!!
LOL I did it last nihgt! I filled a hole with a glue after it was dry. Its back on the car this morning.
Thanks for everything guys.
Taras

quote=gtodave;82252]drill a small hole in the front of the lense at the very bottom about 1mm and then the water will drain out.
put them in the sun to soften the sealant and pry them apart[/quote]

G

Unregistered
Does anyone know what colour the sealant is on the facelift fog lights? Is it black or grey? I want to get some matching sealant in preparation for pulling a light out, cleaning & resealing. My left fog light is permanently.. fogged up :closedeyes:

G

Unregistered
Darn.. I fully resealed the lens, siliconed the 4 screws on the back of the assembly and put silicone grease on the rubber o-rings.. and there is moisture in there again today!

So, it's either getting in around the o-rings, or in the aim adjuster screw. Or, what's that rubber tube that pokes out the back with what looks like a bit of mesh in it? Is that a breather? Could I try sealing that up too?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Like Dave mentioned, drill a small hole at the bottom and you'll never have this problem again.
I did this with one of my fog lights and also my driver's side headlight as i was getting bad condensation build up in both of them.
I never had the problem ever again.

G

Unregistered
Dave says to drill the hole into the front of the lense.. is that right? Surely that would cause more water to get into it.

Weird thing is that my right fog light doesn't have any moisture at all.

Out of interest, is there any problem with totally sealing the lights up or must they have a breather for some reason? (let out the heat etc)

Top Bottom