Forged Engine Build Pics

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Figured Id grab a few snaps of the progress I made this weekend on the Forged 6A13TT I'm piecing together for Carls (patryn999) Galant

Honing the block

20140801_190646.jpg

The mains tunnel after line honing and final wash up
20140802_141710.jpg

Block after being honed, surfaced, final wash and painted

20140802_141750.jpg

20140802_141809.jpg

20140802_141824.jpg

ARP main studs and genuine grade 5 Mistubishi bearings fitted to the block and mains cradle
20140802_145326.jpg

20140802_145338.jpg

Balanced and polished crankshaft all cleaned up and dropped into place
20140802_150904.jpg

20140802_150919.jpg

A1 Technologies H11 11mm 4G63T head studs fitted
20140802_160051.jpg

Setting the ring gap
20140802_160142.jpg

I also measured the Big end bearing clearances. was going to check the piston to head clearance but the PRISM rods were a fraction too wide to fit into the crank journal so Ill have to give them a lick with the surface grinder tomorrow and then the short block is all ready to go together.
I've ported the heads and they have been surfaced, and have a performance valve seat job done. just waiting on the correct valve springs to arrive and then the heads can go together and go onto the block
Should have the 280deg 12mm lift billet cams I made back from the heat treaters on Monday so I can finish grind those and fit them to the heads.

More photos to come..

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
i think my block will be subjected to a similar reaming shortly. Just waiting on trotty to finish manifolds, dumps and intercooler piping and we should have the td04's up and running. Unsure how far i'm gonna go with my car.

I'll need some info about which parts to get ie: pistons, rods and other components in order to go down the same path

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Any idea on power levels this block will be capable of when finished? What turbos are planned with this build?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Its going to have the 13T TD04's that are on his current engine to start with for initial run in and tune until he can afford something bigger.

Nnot sure about what power level we will get it to, all depends on the external mods (injectors, turbos, what fuel he will run etc). but I would be severely dissapointed if the engine has issues before we get well north of the 700hp mark. looking to spin it to ~8500RPM. if all is well there might push it up to 9k just for the hell of it, because the cams it will have will definitely let it go there, and imagine the noise!

Still deciding on what the replacement turbos will be but I'm liking the idea of something along the lines of twin T28 frame garretts or 16-18G TD05's. going to stretch the TD04L-13T's to their absolute limit first just to see what they can do. might be able to pull high 300kW out of it but I don't think the TD04's quite have 400kW in them, well not the 13T's anyway

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Yeah I think u would get Into the 400's if ya went the tdo4-19t's

It's good to know what the motor can make.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
yeah or 20T's, which in therory should be good for 640hp. but we wont be happy with just 400kW when the engine is clearly capable of more. that chap from the UK who had one in a FTO made 600+hp with stock intake, heads and cams so we will be able to smoke that record with ease with the right turbos

Must. Have. More. Power!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Jesus Adam, I have Td05-18G on my 3.5 litre track engine, on a 2.5 with 280's i'd hate to think what its like, but sure, it'll produce the numbers.:eek:

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
What! a turbo that small on a VQ35 must almost be making boost at idle haha! the power must fall over something shocking near the top end with a turbo that tiny working probably well beyond its efficiency range, Id not go smaller than the likes of a 20 or 25G TD06 for a VQ35 for a good responsive thing.
I put a TD05-18G with a single scroll 0.82AR turbine housing on a mates CA18DET which is in an old KP60 toyota starlet and its pretty responsive even on the 1800 that doesn't have any porting and only real mild 260ish cams, and the exhaust manifold is nothing flash just a modified trademe special.

The cams have far less effect on lag compared to turbo sizing however and 280's although big, aren't stupid huge. could have gone 300+ but then it would be too peaky. this hopefully will be a good mid range with out falling over in power up top. but we will have to wait and see as apart from some of the magic that happens in russia I don't know of anyone who has gone this far with a 6A13 before (with the exceptions of the few engines that are currently in the build, Scotts forged build, Robs forged twin garrett and E85 powered one, Sideburns high comp build and a few others) so alot of what we plan to be doing with this engine is messing with cam timing to see where the sweet spots are in these motors.

The manifolds he has are good equal length runners with a nice collector and its currently well on boost by 3250-3500 so going up a turbo frame size will see it probably more like 4k. but thats ok to have it a bit laggier because we will be adding at least another 1000-1500 RPM onto the power band by revving it harder.

Will have to see how it all goes. got to flog as much power as possible out of these TD04L-13T's first. But Im leaning toward a small A/R (~0.6 ish) T28 size turbos for the replacement turbos. but want to stick to something with a T25 flange so we have plenty of options to change if we need to.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Hey Adam, looking good. You wouldn't be able to ask around and find out if there is any well respected engine builders I should talk to in the Auckland / Waikato region could you? Not taking my stuff to some idiot is my biggest concern.

Were you able to get an internal balance on that crank with the prism rods and wiseco pistons?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Cant say I know of anywhere off the top of my head but can ask the guys who did this block.the whole rotating assembly was balanced on this. Each part individually too ie zero balanced the crank then add the flywheel and re-balance then the front pulley and rebalance. That cost ~450

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Hahaha this is awesome... 9000rpm would almost sound like an IndyCar with our engines :D

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Mine has twin TD05's, for some reason that didn't make the post?
Small turbos, hardly. 1.75litres per turbo. Mine is a track car, not a 1/4 mile thing. For me it's all about torque, solid mid range not top end power. 550-600hp in something that weighs under 1100kg is pretty lively.
I need it to run flat out for 30 minutes 6 times a weekend all year.
Keeping engine speed down helps with reliability, plus in don't need to rev it to make power. That's the plan at least...

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Jungle how the hell did u fit tdo5s in?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Ah i see twin TD05's makes more sense!

on another note Im pretty furious, the heat treaters dropped 2/4 of the cams that I gave them to get hardened.
Dropped them when they were red hot out of the furnace so 2/4 of the cams are bent and f**ked so now Have to make another 2 replacements! damnit

but should have the short block all assembled this weekend.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Hoe that sucks dude

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Not sure yet. just need to buy some more steel and make the replacements so Carl does not miss out on the track day he is booked in for.

Top Bottom