Found a '97 Legnum - should I buy?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Guys,

Found a 97 Legnum, 47000kms, Pearl White, Manual, Leather, Sunroof, no audio, cat back exhaust, lowered (not sure if aftermarket? havent looked underneath), in pretty good condition. - body is straight

They want 20k Driveaway.

I would need to put deposit then wait for it to be complied though....

Do you guys think that is good value?

I might go take a look at it tommorow, what are things to keep an eye out for when test driving?

Cheers,
Brent

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Personally - too expensive for something that is still waiting on compliance plates.

Nice leather/manual combo however.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Kristian,

Do you have anything coming up with manual, leather, sunroom with under 50k's?

In the pearl colour pref?

They suggested 3 weeks tops for compliance, that im not stressed gives me more time to sell the outlander privatly rather than loose money on a trade.....

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
If that 20 k includes on road costs, that wouldnt be too bad. Id offer them a bit less than that, so you'd still be paying for the convenience, if you personally import the wait will be much longer than 3 weeks :p

EDIT: Id recommend Kristians services if you do decide to personally import :D

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
do they actually have the car, if you are going to have to wait for it to get here then be complied you may as well import yourself, talk to kristian or ben and start looking for one and save yourself big dollars

surely self import even now you should be able to get one for $15,000 landed complied and rego'ed as Mallen said pocket the money

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey bogan bob,

Thanks for the advice, it does include onroads and rego.

I will try to squeeze abit more out of em for the price tommorow, all depends on how it drives.

Regards,

Brent

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Wes,

yeah the car is local stock.
Im taking it for a spin tommorow, Its hard to find them with leather, sunroof and manual with low km's. Do you agree?

The car has only done 47k km's aswell....

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I say, if you want something today "go for it" if you are willing to wait a while, then you will end up saving a few k and still get what you want. Although having said that, manual with leather is kinda hard to come by, not particulary rare as some would have you think, under 60k isnt hard either, but you gotta pay for it.
Good luck and I hope you get what you want
Regards,
Jason

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
yeah, i know you can save a couple of k, but its just the waiting... I dont want to have to purchase another car to get me by while im waiting for the leggie to come in, after reading the thread about the problems with compliance plates and delays etc, it just seems wiser and simpler to buy from the dealer, saves the troubles with roadworthys/saftey certificates as well, as its going to be 100% easier than what it would be if you do it solo, also ive just moved up here to queensland and dont have any mechanics or any of my mates evo mechanics on hand to help out, a mate of mine has an evo 6.5 in melb, he uses tech sport. they are great.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Hey Brent, I understand what you mean. I think before you comit you should have a chat with Iron Chef on here or click on one of his many links and see what he has to offer. I know he has a few cars "landed" so you might not have to wait as long as you think.
But as i said, for right here, right now factor it isn't too bad of a deal.
Personally for the sake of driving a $500 shitter for a few weeks to save anything upto 5k in the long run isn't too much of an inconvieniance ( I am sure i spelt that wrong..... Chef?)
My best advise to anyone is do all the research you can, drive as many cars as you can, get as many quotes as you can and then make an "informed" purchase.
Good luck with whatever you decide,
Jason

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Jason,

Yeah Ive checked out what Iron Chef has, nothing really that suited me to the dot, I think for now ill check this one out tommorow, I have test drove a few both autos and manuals, there was another manual i looked at , it had standard white paint (not pearl) and 85ks the guy wanted 17 drive away, didnt have leather or anything, it drove pretty well, but the clutch i was a bit unsure on and the fact the timing belt would need doing in another 10k made me think that to buy that for 17 then do that i would be better off with this one... but ill check it tommorow and make a decision i guees... thanks for your tips though, appreciate it!

Is there anything critical that i should look out for on the legnums, that can be a common problem/issue? or are they generally pretty good besides the obvious?

Cheers,
Brent

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
lol @ you guys doing the selling for me...

Brent, like I said, there's a lot to be said for being able to see the car first and drive it, even if you have to pay a little extra for the privilege. If that's exactly what you're after, then go for it.

At $18K driveaway, that's essentially a $16K landed and complied price, and he gets a warranty thrown in for good measure. It's not a great deal, but it's not a crap one either, given what he's after.

G

Unregistered
This is a good point ... if the car is straight, no rust, no weird noises when it starts up and drives it might be a good idea to grab it. When u import u have no idea of the real condition, no one drives the car to test it out. Many of us so far have been lucky with the import process but it could also be a bad experience ... If u can get the car for under $20,000 and it is really wat u want, and its in really good condition they go for it. These cars are worth every cent. See if u can find any other legnums for sale in Australia cheaper and show the dealer ... might get it cheaper :)

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Guys,

Well i have put down a "refundable deposit", It is refundable until they do anything with the car e.g. roadworthy/registration etc. I couldnt get them to bring the price down, tried all angles..... but the car is in pretty spec condition, had 3 dents in doors on lhs, and scratch in the door, they are all getting fixed up, requested that it get a 3" catback exhaust they agreed, it was missing the cargo bay blind also they are going to source me one. the car is very genuine, drives like my outlander does (like new) I am going back to the yard tommorow to show the other half and get her tick of approval also. It is at stock height and has standard wheels :s, with stock exhaust, I think the car may of just been a "family saloon" in Japan, the condition is spec inside/out, no signs of any wear and tear on interior either.

Thanks for the all the advice guys, I will take some pics tommorow and post tommorow night.

Cheers,
Brent

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Good on you Brent. I look forward to seeing the pics :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Congrats Brent, it sounds like you've gotten yourself a winner... and saved yourself a HELL of a lot of screwing around!! >.<

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Pics Of Exterior

Attachments

• FL.JPG
    FL.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 26
  • FR.JPG