Found Thule Roof racks for Galant

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
I know there are a few posts in here about roof racks, though some are quite old. I have found the after market roof rooks from Thule that fit the Galant. So I thought a new thread with the answer to them all was OK.

Anyway.

First off thanks to Thule, who couldn't have been more helpful in finding what I needed, and in exchanging packs when we got the wrong one (even though they got it in from NZ for me).

This for Galant 97 onwards without rails. These are ones you put on a car that has nothing on the roof. Good for things like surfboards etc. You can get luggage racks etc extra.

You need

Fit Kit 1049

Foot Pack GL 754

Aero Bars GL 861 (though you can also go the square bars).

The bars and the foot pack are fairly standard. The Fit Kit is the bit made for Galants. They are available in Aust (they fit other models also)

These have a rubber foot that sits on your roof just inboard of the door frame. A locking clip fits into the inside of the top of the door and tightens into the footpack (as per most other after market racks of this sort).

Now for SOME models (but not mine) there is also the Fit Kit 2041. This one locks into a curly piece of metal in gutter under the black trim. If you look closely some models have a bit of curved over metal in the gutter (I think most models do, but the orientation changes).

If you have this bit of metal, and it points OUTBOARD (i.e. it curves over and points to the outside of the car), then you should be able to use kit 2041. My model (series 1 97) has this bit of metal, but it points inboard. Check out the 2041 PDF below. It shows a good close up diagram of how this kits fits into the gutter.

NOTE: The Fit Kit 2041 goes with Foot Pack GL 400XTR. This is a different foot pack to the one needed for the 1049. Same bars - aero GL 861

I have included the PDF of the fitting guide for both the 2041 and the 1049. Also some pics of the 1049 system on my car.
P1030319 (Medium).JPG
P1030320 (Medium).JPG
P1030322 (Medium).JPG
P1030325 (Medium).JPG

Attachments

• 1049 galant.pdf
    421.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2041 galant.pdf
    352.4 KB · Views: 12

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Can you please get info on the ones that DON'T need the feet, for us Legnum owners who have rails already.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Can you please get info on the ones that DON'T need the feet, for us Legnum owners who have rails already.

I believe jmo had a set for sale just recently. Try PMing him for some info perhaps? There's a few members on here that have cross bars for their roof rails already.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
The ones that go onto the rails are I think already known about. They were mentioned in the other threads. Sorry because I don't have rails I didn't specifically research that topic.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
I believe jmo had a set for sale just recently. Try PMing him for some info perhaps? There's a few members on here that have cross bars for their roof rails already.

I know dude, I've replied twice to his thread AND pm'd... :p

The ones that go onto the rails are I think already known about. They were mentioned in the other threads. Sorry because I don't have rails I didn't specifically research that topic.

I couldn't find any info with search, but no worries.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Now what you need is a little spoiler thing to go on the front of the rack, a bike that never gets taken off the rack, low offset wheels, low suspension and an Illest sticker (or, for the complete look, several hundred Illest stickers covering your front bumper).

Top Bottom