Front Brakes - what do they come with standard?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Carsten, I think they are about $800 or so, I put the prices up on cvr4 a long time ago.They actually aren't that expensive, especially considering you just need to replace the rotor part and not the middle part each time. I forget what the rotor is by itself, but it is fairly cheap.

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
the trouble with the drilled rotors is they dont last under heavy braking. Because the DBA's arent cast with the holes in them, they fracture around the holes. The rotors on high end Mercs etc are different, they are cast with the holes.....

True but you would need to be getting them pretty damn hot!
I used to run DBA slotted and cross drilled on my forester, on track days I never had any dramas with cracking, or braking for the matter!

So long as you know how to warm up and cool down you should be fine.

Unless you are doing track events where you are out there all day on 40deg days, I would be suprised.

Not saying i dont believe it has happened, becuase I have seen some pretty nasty stuff on track days, my mate's GTR melted the drilled holes over, so there were no more holes! But this was after a full day at Sandown, three weeks in a rowm and he is running 500HP. So it depends on what your expectations are also.

G

Unregistered
do the evo brembo's fit the 97 legnum??
if not i think ill get the same as nicks they seem to be a good package, maybe upgrade all brake lines to braded aswell as pads and rotors.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
not without some work! It is easier to get new pads, rotors and fluids and you will get a very good setup that can slow the car down very quickly repeatedly from 200kmh

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I wish my friggen car would hurry up as I'll have something made that'll get these brembos on pre-facelifts no dramas. It'll be in DIY kit form.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
There is a set of Brembos from a TME 6.5 Evo for sale in Sydney for $1200 (front & rear)

I wish I had some cash to burn :(

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
I wish my friggen car would hurry up as I'll have something made that'll get these brembos on pre-facelifts no dramas. It'll be in DIY kit form.

Hopefully it will work out for you. If it does work I'll take a DIY kit :D

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Paul,

You will probably want to also speak to Ian Grout (ian.g@vire.co.uk). They make a Brembro brake line upgrade kit for the Legnum's. The kit has the front brake lines, bolts and alike to do the fitting (The brembro's need longer flexable hoses. Here is the email details I got when I contacted him. I am planning on ordering a set of these for my Legnum, but was going to wait until there may be more people interested, just to cut the post cost from the UK.

Here is his reply to me.

Hi Gavin,​
Many thanks for your enquiry.
We have the Brembo brake line conversion kits in stock.
These are a replacement for the original fitment rubber ones. The kit is designed for Brembo calipers front and rear. We also include the two new banjo bolts required for the rear caliper fixing (Brembo calipers have very shallow holes on the inlet), and new copper sealing washers all round.
I can work out the shipping to Australia and let you know.
Price for the kit is £47.25
Please also remember that these brake lines are not TUV/DOT approved as they are designed for competition use. The UK does not have the incumbence of a TUV/DOT law so it does not apply here. Please ensure they are a legal fit in your country.

If you need any more help or info, please do not hesitate to contact me.[/FONT]

Best regards
Ian Grout
Motorsport Sales

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
That's just lines though isn't it?

The problem with pre-facelifts is the calipers themselves don't bolt on as the bolt spacing is wrong, so just lines won't fix the problem.

Unless of course you're talking to another Paul...then completely ignore me lol

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Paul,

Yes, you are the right Paul,
As far as I understand, the issues are that the brake lines are all too short, but the front lines could be used on the back.
The rear bolts that hold the calipers on are too long, so shorter bolts are required. The mounting spaces are correct for the Brembro's. The only thing on the rear is that the disc guard needs to be removed to accommodate the 300mm discs.

The Evo 6+ rear Brembro's can be fitted to any Legnum.
It is only the fronts which have an issue on the pre facelift.

Regards

Gavin

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Rotors and new pads are in, I will post up some pics later on tonight.

They feel 100% better than the rubbish standard ones!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Hey Paul,

Yes, you are the right Paul,
As far as I understand, the issues are that the brake lines are all too short, but the front lines could be used on the back.
The rear bolts that hold the calipers on are too long, so shorter bolts are required. The mounting spaces are correct for the Brembro's. The only thing on the rear is that the disc guard needs to be removed to accommodate the 300mm discs.

The Evo 6+ rear Brembro's can be fitted to any Legnum.
It is only the fronts which have an issue on the pre facelift.

Regards

Gavin

Cool thanks Gavin!!

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Rotors and new pads are in, I will post up some pics later on tonight.

They feel 100% better than the rubbish standard ones!

wheels001ii1.jpg

Excuse the dirty wheels! Thanks JMO, I fitted your old rims on Sunday so it oculd go in for compliance today.

I will take another pic this morning before it goes in to SSV just to make sure she comes home the way she goes in.

Stay tuned.

G

Unregistered
very nice mate i like em.. i think ill go down this path at some stage..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
does anyone know if the PFL front calipers are the same as the 3g Eclipse from US? :D

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Time to add more news to this thread! I put Loki in for RWC and everything is fine except that the front rotors and pads have not got much left in them *sighs as he digs deeper again* and have been pulsing/shuddering under brakes. Rather than machine them (or what's left), I may as well get new rotors for the fronts.

Wonder what the other DBA slotted rotors are like? I'll leave the rears for the moment I guess.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I had RDA slotted on my magna, these use the same as a 3rd gen magna by the part numbers. They were awesome rotors. Stock Mitsi rotors always warp, I never had a problem with RDA ones.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Awesome! So just look up DBA's (probably the Series 4000) part numbers for the 3rd Gen Magnas? I don't have access to CAPS so here's to trusting in this wonderful lil' community of ours :D

Top Bottom