Front Brakes - what do they come with standard?

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Got a quote from two places in South Melbourne for the slotted DBA 4000's. Would you believe $310/$340 each! They do have the DBA cross-drilled ones for $220 but I'm thinking it's the "street" and definitely not the other series. Well, it's still better than my shuddering stockers and it made for an interesting drive this morning.

We'll see how long these last and whether the holes crack as some people have mentioned. It's not a 500hp GTR @ Sandown on three consecutive weeks so we should be all good :D

[edit] DAMMIT! Locknuts are on the wheels. I couldn't find them in the car. Hopefully they weren't left in Brisbane or I haven't searched somewhere really obvious in the car. Oh well, a socket bashed on has been sacrificed for this effort to get the wheels off.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
If you want some brakes, id suggest you get a quote from this place in hawthorn on burwood road.

He is an older guy that supplys alot of workshops in Melbourne, I got some brakes for my focus from him about 12 months ago, he was the best for slotted rotors and pads for 4 ends.

the details are:
John Rose
BGT - Brake & Clutch Services
555 Burwood Road
Hawthorn, vic 3122.
ph: 03 9818 3878 or 03 98181127

John is really knowledgable, been in the racing scene for years.
give em a shot and let me know

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hell, let us ALL know - I always prefer to buy from dealers rather than retail - they're often more knowledgeable and helpful quite apart from being better on price!

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
yeah, i got a full set (front and read) slotted rda rotors and pads for 500 buks the lot. cheap as chips.

and were good product, made a huge difference to the focus

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
does anyone know the dimensions of the stock rotors that VR4's came with?!

a diagram would probably be better..

G

Unregistered
Diameter 294mm
Original Height 46mm
Original Thickness 24mm
Minimum Thickness 22.4mm
Centre hole diameter 69mm

If you need the DBA part code it is DBA 417

Christian if you like I have the pair that I took off my car if you want to have a look for yourself.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Diameter 294mm
Original Height 46mm
Original Thickness 24mm
Minimum Thickness 22.4mm
Centre hole diameter 69mm

If you need the DBA part code it is DBA 417

Christian if you like I have the pair that I took off my car if you want to have a look for yourself.

what's the original Height?!

also I was looking at rhdjapan... saw these rotors.. anyone know the brand?! it's APP.. some owners at evoOZ are using it..

https://www.rhdjapan.com/home/products/product_detail_new.php?int_product_id=3643

G

Unregistered
Original height is from the top of the hat through to the other side of the rotor. So the original width including the hat, this will obviously change as the rotor wears.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Totally confused about all this.

DBA 417's are the correct disk parameters right ?

Well whats the deal when you have EVO VI and above 4 Pot Brembos ?

The Replacement disks for an EVO VI and above with 17" wheels have a Disk diameter of 320mm !

And all the other dimensions are different...

G

Unregistered
DBA 417 will not work with Evo V and above calipers, you will need to get the larger Evo rotors (the part number is around here somewhere)

DBA 417 are only good with the standard calipers that come with the VR-4

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
So what is the recommended rear replacement model ?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
does anyone know if the Prefacelift model's caliper mount are the same as the 6G & 7G VR4 and evo 1-3?

I know the above said models are 4-stud, i just need confirmation that they all share the same mount points..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
so which means, we can use the USDM Eclipse big brake kit then..

thats what the USDM 6G & 7G Galant owners use.. but knowing the Eclipse are 5 stud, they redrill the rotors into 4 stud.. works like a treat..

G

Unregistered
Am looking at getting new pads for my car, got a price on the EBC Greenstuff but think bit to expensive and gooder pad to put on stock rotors, does anyone know anything about Kevlar brake pads, are all brake pads made from kevlar or is this guy is using it as a marketing tool to sell these ones, he told me that Bendix ulimate work great in a falcon or commodore but dont normally seem to go to well in imports for some reason. (he was a bendix agent to) He said he has fitted heaps of these kevlar pads to WRXs and had great sucess and return customers, cant remember the brand just that they are kevlar and semi metallic, Think im gonna get these kevlar pads on sat so if anyone has any feed back would be good.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Hey mate..

Whilst I can't comment on the merits of kevlar pads I can say that I have EBC Green Stuff fitted to my PFL Legnum and am very happy with them. Admittedly they are a little dear but in this case you definitely get what you pay for.

I fitted them along with new front discs and once bedded in, the results are pleasing - I can brake hard from 140km/h and have the ABS going almost instantly. I've not tried from a higher speed (after my 50 demerit speeding fine I'm a bit more cautious) but I've heard that other ClubVR4 members have slammed brakes approaching 200km/h with the same results.

According to the manufacturer's insert I received along with my pads, they mention that EBC Green Stuff is recommended for cars up to 200BHP, if that's true then I'd like to see what they do on those cars if the performance I've experienced is anything to go by.

That's my experience with the pads.

Am looking at getting new pads for my car, got a price on the EBC Greenstuff but think bit to expensive and gooder pad to put on stock rotors, does anyone know anything about Kevlar brake pads, are all brake pads made from kevlar or is this guy is using it as a marketing tool to sell these ones, he told me that Bendix ulimate work great in a falcon or commodore but dont normally seem to go to well in imports for some reason. (he was a bendix agent to) He said he has fitted heaps of these kevlar pads to WRXs and had great sucess and return customers, cant remember the brand just that they are kevlar and semi metallic, Think im gonna get these kevlar pads on sat so if anyone has any feed back would be good.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Ryan, Im currently using Bendix Ultimate using it to compliment the slotted rotors that i recently have acquired.. works well with the car.. Im happy with it, it stops alot quicker than the oem's that were on the car..

as with EBC green stuff, I used them before and yes it is quite dearer than the Bendix Ultimate.. everyone else seems to vouch for it, at this stage I won't as I stuffed up my previous install on my old Galant (well not entirely it still did its job, but steere started shuddering again when I hit the brakes, maybe I didnt bed them in properly).. I am yet to try it out again in the future..

Top Bottom