Front Left Blowout @ 110kph... not fun

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea, in order to pass compliance inspection, the car must have new tyres fitted. It's illegal to re-use the Jap tyres once the car has been complied - the Jap tyres must be surrendered for recycling by law (as I said, even if they're brand new and the same as a tyre available locally, without the correct markings they can't be used on Australian roads). If you bought it off a dealer who imported the car and put it through the RAW (or is a RAW) then they broke the law refitting the Jap tyres prior to selling the vehicle. Just ask the members on here how much it cost to have tyres fitted by the RAW to get the car complied. Sometimes a RAW may be willing to help out by allowing a wheel swap for compliance, so some members have received their cars with Jap tyres. But the RAW is risking their license by doing this, 'cause it's not strictly legit.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
when i bought my car I received it with used tyres.. I never knew that they were supposed to supply brand new tyres..

also sizes were different to front and back - but I knew that cause the discount was $1000 off the car..

vr4nv

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Paul
Drive
98 Legnum
Got my legnum today, i am the first aust owner (but i did buy from a car yard).
have 2nd hand tyres 40% tread. Do they put a new set on for comp then change them over?.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
They are supposed to be replaced during compliance Paul, but many don't, you probably have the tires that came with the car from Japan... start saving your pennies for a new set I'd say !!

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Another member had their compliancing recently done at a Sydney place.

The tyres weren't changed in compliance and as the tread was gone, the car failed the AUVIS inspection.

Compliance places are legally required to change the tyres.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Compliance places are legally required to change the tyres.
More to the point, the car MUST have new tyres of the correct sizing to comply. The rules don't even allow them to be 'as new', they literally have to be brand new, fitted to THAT car for it to pass. If they've touched the open road, the car won't (well, shouldn't) pass.

This is completely separate and unrelated to your state licensing inspection - those guys don't car what tyres you have, as long as there's adequate tread, correct sizing etc. They won't notice nor care if they're Jap tyres 'cause they probably don't know the difference (even though technically it IS something they should be checking). Technically, using Jap tyres will also void your insurance, but I've never heard of this actually happening as, once again, they don't know enough to check for it.

I'd be interested to hear what Kris (Iron Chef) has to say on the subject, as he has more experience getting cars through compliance and licensed than ALL of us put together!

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
That's a good point Trev and RAWS do have to change the Jap tyres even if they've got 99.99% tread on them.

Of course, had the RAWS done their job and changed the tyres, the car would have not have failed the state licensing requirements due to any tyre issues (tread etc).

I had a wry smile on my face when told the story of a RAWs saying "Yeah, we gotta replace these dangerous Japanese made tyres with another set of ... Japanese made tyres".

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Hmm, all good and relevant information that I wish I knew last year, or at least thought to search for, heh.

Ah well, the plan now is to get a full set of new tyres for my standard wheels and when the time comes to upgrade wheels (probably the same time I end up buying some Brembos to help with all the mountain driving I now do :D) I'll still have a full set of spares just in case :)

Top Bottom