Front license plate doesnt fit

G

Unregistered
Hi guys

just passed the pits and the license plate is bit bigger than the space at the front (back is fine). Can we cut/bend bits off each side for the front plate or will that get me a fine/yellow sticker?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
you can bend the ends of the plate to a 90 degree angle. Or just get some standoff's and mount the plate on them

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
You can't cut the plates in NSW so I assume it will be the same in WA.

Just get some plastic spacers and bring it out flush with the bumper bar.

G

Unregistered
i made spacer/lifter plates for mine,

so the top of the plate sits flush with the top edge of the bumper,
so the cooler gets as much air as possible

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If it were me I'd call the licensing department (Department of Planning and Infrastructure, Licensing Services) about it on 13 11 56. They will be able to tell you what you can and can't do.

Personaly I suspect it is classified as defacement of govt property, as you don't actually own the plates. But don't take my word for it, just give them a call. If you can't bend it just get a spacer, or make one out of a couple of metal strips from Bunnings or something. Will cost you all of a dollar ;)

G

Unregistered
im really one of the worst when it comes to tools and makign stuff etc (i dun even own an electric tool of any sort) so this spacer thing is over my head just gonna bend it until i my next service then get the ultratune guy to install spacers

G

Unregistered
in that case, buy some washers from your local hardware shop, and just put them between the plate and the bumper, with longer screws?
mine were bloody long so longer screws may not be needed?

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I bought some grommets usually used for wiring (except they're big ones!) to bring the surface flush with the bumper bar. Then, I drilled holes in the number plates (in-between the characters) to move it up a fraction. Have a look in my signature for photos of how it turned out. I may have mounted it a lil' too high (maybe 10mm out).

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Mine are just a bit of plastic about 20mm thick with a long screw through the middle, I assume they were put on during compliance (shogun)

space2.jpg

space1.jpg

G

Unregistered
i made spacer/lifter plates for mine,

so the top of the plate sits flush with the top edge of the bumper,
so the cooler gets as much air as possible

I just did the same, ground down the nuts and bolts to fit my little bracket. Glued the nuts on and painted it all black.

022copy.jpg

G

Unregistered
mine had the spacers the same as hawks, must be something shogun do.

you are not allowed to bend, cut, drill, etc your plates.. however i drilled new holes in mine to raise the plate up to cover the gap it left, and its less obvious than bending them.

like so....

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
I drilled mine too.

I didn't know you couldn't drill them....Ooops

front.jpg

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
May vary from state-to-state. Worth checking out though. If it's done in a subtle way, then it'd work. Besides, nothings gives away that "look at me, I'm a private import!" more than that lil' gap above the number plates ;)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
You're supposed to have spacers fitted as part of compliance. Mine had the same thing as what shogun did.

G

Unregistered
yeah i noticed later those plastic spacers were for the license plate lol

but had to drill 2 new holes cos the ones the plates had didnt fit and the holes were 1mm too small

Top Bottom