FTO

G

Unregistered
i'm after opinions, and pros/cons

kylie is after a new car, as her new job is pretty far form where we live, so we are after something economical, doesnt need to be big (we have a legnum, duhh) but still nice, and preferably 'sporty' looking.

we looked at the new lancers, but the VRX is over 30K, and we dont want to spend that much... although they are very tempting.

OR can someone recommend something else?
dont want a hatch, ie suzuki swift, echo, etc.. and want something new-ish

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
FTO's are awesome (subject of the thread although you don't mention them again). If you drive them below 3000rpm they are very economical and reasonably responsive. If you take them above that all the way up to 8000rpm they just howl and go like mad.

Imagine a Honda Type-R with 6 cylinders :) Just make sure you get a manual one

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Oh cool, I didn't know that they were decent cars. Kinda like the look of them as well, they're not faster than a Legnum are they?

G

Unregistered
My misses is looking at the New Impreza, looks great as an RS or RX, just doesn't cut it for the WRX though. The new impreza's aren't on every corner which is nice.
Maybe a Ford Focus Zetec ?

Two cool looking cars ...

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
or how bout my Eunos 30x i have for sale....its a 2dr coupe, silver, manual, 2.5L J-Spec 24v V6....$6000.00....needs a bit of work though....spent about $15,000 on it in past 3 yrs...

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I love FTO's - Ive always wanted one but their just not practicle enough. If you dont need much boot space or people to sit in the rear seats, then go for it!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
well I chose an 850csi over an FTO... seriously I was thinking about getting an FTO, pulling the mivec out of it and creating a DOHC Mivec 6A13 for my Legnum and selling the FTO as a rolling body :)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I've driven a few and I agree with Brad, they're quite nice!

Would be awesome if they were awd and TT :cool:

Make sure you get the MIVEC one (GPX if I remember rightly) and in manual :D

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
get the FTO GPX and make sure its Manual.. then 2-3 years later.. transplant a 6A13TT into it :D

been inside the FTO.. it's nice inside.. you get gauges too as factory option.. like the R34 GT-T

G

Unregistered
I think it was car of the year in Japan at some stage.

Brads on the money they do make an awesome howl sound.

I think it's styling has remained contempary considering it's a 90's car, which is nice, interior not as much though.

Not as good as an Integra Type R but doesn't really have the inflated price so it looks like a winner, albeit they are very feminine.

Check out this review on Drive Time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty8gbyrzpFk

G

Unregistered
but still nice, and preferably 'sporty' looking.

If my girlfriend was looking at an FTO, I'd have to also recommend a late model NA Toyota Supra.

The one I've driven hauled for a car without snails, I think they would surprise some Turbo hoons off the mark if they weren't careful.

If your like me and would surrogately choose the car you most wanted to drive, then I'd go Supra as it's much faster and RWD. Though if you have her best interest at heart then perhaps the FTO would be better suited to her especially if she liked the styling.

Anyway thought I'd mention it if your going to be checking out vehicles anyhow.

No actually wait.. convince her she should take out a larger loan and go for a worked Evo 8 MR - caan'

G

Unregistered
Granted, but worth the mention non the less.

G

Unregistered
she wanted a NA supra originally, but then she took this job, and its costing $100+/week in fuel.

FTO got the boot though.. she wants something newer :p

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I own a 95 FTO GPX manual, it is my daily driver. Great car, very reliable and extremely economical. I don't drive it softly and have never averaged over 10 litres per 100km on a tank. It is usually around the 9l/100km mark on a combination of highway & city driving. Also handles great and is a lot of fun on the track. It isn't the fastest car in the world, but as we all know there's more to life than straight lines...

If anyone's looking at getting one, make sure you check the roof and underneath the rear end for rust. I looked at a lot before I found one that was rust free.

Top Bottom