Fuel consumption - air filter related?

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
Hey guys,

The Legnum I bought recently came with a fully sik round pod filter. At the moment, I'm getting 15L/100km. Do you think changing to the oval K&N Mitsu MAF specific pod filter will help my cause? Do universal pods tend to decrease fuel consumption? It seems to idle fine etc...but I've read the long threads!

Thanks guys!

Wes =)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
The O2 sensor in your exhaust is a more likely culprit.... then spark plugs... Then air filter.

I have an ARC airbox and get 12L/100. Mine improved when I changed the 02 sensor.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Go the oval K&N filter then do all the rest, including a oil and transmission change. If it still sucks get your injectors removed and cleaned. Made a big difference on Mel's car.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hugh and Peter have covered the main ones. The air filter is a whole other topic though. I think bradC has covered this many times, but i don't have a link for it.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If at all possible get the original air intake setup as it is the best. It is capable of supporting 190kw ATW with no problems. I do agree with the other ideas of changing the O2 sensor first though.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Doing the O2 is most likely the cheapest, if you can still score one for $29 but if there is nothing wrong with it you wont find any difference. If you change from a standard Pod to the recommended oval filter you will most definitely see an improvement for reasons I wont go into here as they have been covered in other posts.
Your best bet is to go back to the standard OEM intake. You can check with Kempy's and places like Monster and score one from there.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
So guys, I went and got one of those NTK O2 sensors and put it on last Friday. Since then, I have travelled a tiny 160kms and am already 3/4 empty! I swear it's worse... I've got a full new set of Iridium plugs to put in, so we'll see how that goes. Then after that, we'll change to the oval pod. I can't go back to stock airbox as I have aftermarket intercooler piping which is in the way.

I have also done a full oil change with Mobil 1 full synth 5w30. I have also done a full transmission flush/filter change with genuine Mitsu ATF.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Yes, 1/4 tank remaining.

98RON is all I've used! ;)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Saying "¼ of a tank after 160kms" is erroneous and misleading. What you need to start doing is filling your tank to exactly the same point (I fill mine 'til it's 1cm from the brim of the filler spout) 'cause when you refill you can tell EXACTLY how much fuel you've used, and when combined with your trip meter you can then calculate your fuel usage very accurately.

Now if you haven't done your plugs yet, why the hell not? Numerous members have found substantial benefits replacing old plugs, some have found the entire electrode burnt off. Have you replaced the oil at least? That will make a measurable difference, too.

Cover all the standard servicing first, then start looking at other things. Your aftermarket pod filter WILL be affecting things for the worse as your engine will be overfuelling to compensate for the erratic MAF readings, so bear in mind you're not going to be able to hit decent economy figures until you replace that.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
You're right, sorry, I should have been more specific. I normally use figures to be accurate...

Anyways, my last fill up was 16L/100km. Accufuel for iPhone is very cool!

I have been waiting for my rocker cover gaskets to arrive before I pulled off the intake manifold to do my plugs...also my fiance has been driving the Legnum whilst hers has been in repair, so I simply haven't had a chance/time. I will do it tomorrow morning and will post figures up after!

Thanks again guys,

Wes =)

Top Bottom