Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
After doing the major service including plugs, air filter and O2 sensor I have not seen an improvement in fuel economy. I do have a hole in the exhaust which could explain why but I am only managing about 350 a tank on a stock tune. I could get close to 500ks when I first got the car.
I would do a boost leak test. I got similar figures with a split vacuum line.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
How did you do your boost leak test? What needs to be capped off?

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
if i remember correctly when prawny did mine, you take the hot side of the cooling off at the Y pipe and chuck on a boost leak tester there (usually PVC pipe with a compressor valve) nothing needs to be capped

G

Unregistered
not a vr4 but last tank in the GTR was 10.9L/100kms.

#becausedaily

tuffrx

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Matt
Drive
TW Magna AWD VR-X
Has anyone gone from owning a AWD Magna to a manual Galant/legnum? If so was there much difference in fuel economy? Trying to weigh up whether to put a 6G75 in the Magna or go for a manual Galant that has come up for sale.

Thanks

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Has anyone gone from owning a AWD Magna to a manual Galant/legnum? If so was there much difference in fuel economy? Trying to weigh up whether to put a 6G75 in the Magna or go for a manual Galant that has come up for sale.

Thanks

Honestly depends how you drive it really :)
What your daily or weekly routine ?

96vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
AJ
Drive
Legnum with twin GT25R upgrade.
With a good tune you can get below 10L/100ks which is probably better then your magna?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)

Thanks

I went from a Ralliart Magna to a Galant...

Magna will be miles better on fuel IMO, but largely comes down to driving style and prior experience with driving a turbo vehicles economically...

tuffrx

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Matt
Drive
TW Magna AWD VR-X
Thanks for the quick replies guys. My AWD Magna is 200kg heavier than a manual type V Galant but the manual Galant sits at approx 3,000rpm on the freeway whereas mine sits at 2,400rpm. I get about 14L/100km in town and about 10L/100km on the freeway. I don't drive very hard most of the time so I guess the figures in a Galant would be fairly similar for the most part (as long as it wasn't on boost all the time of course!). In comparison my wifes FWD Magna is approx 2L/100km better than my AWD, any other input would be greatly appreciated!

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Those figures are quite similar to a typical Galant, some owner's are getting a bit better than that and some a little worse.

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
Thanks for the quick replies guys. My AWD Magna is 200kg heavier than a manual type V Galant but the manual Galant sits at approx 3,000rpm on the freeway whereas mine sits at 2,400rpm. I get about 14L/100km in town and about 10L/100km on the freeway. I don't drive very hard most of the time so I guess the figures in a Galant would be fairly similar for the most part (as long as it wasn't on boost all the time of course!). In comparison my wifes FWD Magna is approx 2L/100km better than my AWD, any other input would be greatly appreciated!

If you have good toe control and a healthy car, I'd say Galant. My Legnum on E85 manages 10L/100km highway and 12-13L/100km around town. No reason why you couldn't better those figures on petrol.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
I drove a '98 Verada around for a while and it's fuel consumption was pretty bad on E10 -- it didn't like it very much. When I switched to 98 it was much better. Sorry, I don't have any figures but I'm positive about this. My Galant I get an average of 11L/100Km in the city and about 9L/100Km highway. I drive like a granny most times though. Mostly because I have no choice -- I use Parramatta Rd a lot. Worse frickin road in the universe.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
I use Parramatta Rd a lot. Worse frickin road in the universe.

I agree totally.

I usually get around 11-13L/100km. Mixture of highway and start-stop traffic, with occasional "reaching the speed limit in the shortest time possible".:cool:

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
After a TME tune, 3 port, fuel pump, new plugs, with a K n' N panel.... I pulled 513km to 49 litres.... wow!!
used to get about 350k's to a tank before that... massive difference!!
reckon I could get 600 on a tank easy now..Mostly city traffic though this week has been clearer than most traffic wise... and the hours I work help too!!

Steve

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
The tune will pay for itself very quickly with those numbers. Lol

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I have said it before, but tune alone isn't a magic fuel saver. Sure it will save a little but its usually the prep work people put in coming up to a tune that saves them the most fuel - new fluids, new plugs, new fuel pump, air filter, fixing vac leaks etc, they will all add up to better fuel efficiency. I have had 2 vr4's tuned and did not notice any drop in fuel usage.

Of course I still recommend getting a tune as it will make your car a lot more fun to drive.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I'm only speaking from experience as I ws lucky to get 350km
A tank now minimum 400km-450km without changing driving style. So now making 40% more power and using less fuel. Pretty convincing for me.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
For mine Galant, about 400km a tank give or take. Completely stock.
After mod and tune, average 470km, got a bit over 500km a few times. Mod are 3 port, fuel pump, spark plugs, exhaust + TME tune.

Top Bottom