Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Just went on a road trip to Mudgee -- my fuel economy was 8.34 L/100Km. That's the best so far -- I've been on long road trips before, but never had it this good. I attribute it mostly to the tune, because before it, the best I could get was around 9.5. But maybe also due to having a full exhaust system from the front pipes back. My average is around 11.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Just went on a road trip to Mudgee -- my fuel economy was 8.34 L/100Km. That's the best so far -- I've been on long road trips before, but never had it this good. I attribute it mostly to the tune, because before it, the best I could get was around 9.5. But maybe also due to having a full exhaust system from the front pipes back. My average is around 11.
Man that is a nice drive too. Just did Mudgee two weeks ago and they sure have some awesome roads out there and some bad ones too. But all fun.

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Commodore (dont hate, its for work) & MY16 WRX Premium
As I drove Sydney to Melbourne yesterday, I thought i would see what my fuel consumption was for the trip. I Stopped a couple of times for fuel, primarily due the the fact the fuel gauge is no where near accurate.

Trip = 910kms (penrith to dandenong)
Fuel used = 80.1litres (filled up at start and end of trip)
Litres per 100km = 8.8 (if my maths works)
I went for a while at 1/4 tank before filling up and only used about 30 -36 litres each time.
In theory the car should get over 600km per tank on highway driving

Poida

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Peter
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
I drove from Sydney to coffs harbour. All highway. It was empty with the light on. I think it's about 500 kms. With a large fmic not sure if the fmic helps or worsens fuel economy. How many litres is the fuel reserve?

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
1997 Trigger PFL Manual Legnum.
First full tank fill-up done. It returned 10.6l/100 over 360km of freeway, and Berwick to Chelsea via Cranbourne during peak.

Took 38 litres from 1/4 tank marker. Filling it last time, I put in 52 litres, and the fuel light had been on for two days worth of around Moe.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Still lucky to get 340km per tank......NEED A TME TUNE I think

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I must have something else wrong, even with the tune my mileage is in the low 300km/tank

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Could be. I did replace it 5-6yrs ago. Would that affect my tune though?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Won't alter tune. Will prevent ecu receiving signal of stoich afr though if it's dead.
That being said, I was still seeing 14.7:1 (Innovate LM1, probably not the best compared to big dollar rigs) with the factory narrowband disconnected while I was using the factory sensor spot. Can still be economical without it if all is well.

Big question here is: 300km to how many L though? Might have a vacuum leak somewhere...

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
...........Big question here is: 300km to how many L though? Might have a vacuum leak somewhere...

How can I test for this??

craig

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 Legnum Super VR-4, Silver (project)
1997 Galant VR-4, soon to be manual
2004 Toyota Funcargo, Silver (daily)
Got 360km to a tank in my facelift VR4 and on track for around the same again. Going to check spark plug gap as the past owner used BKR6EIX-11, probably need to go with BKR7 anyway because it feels like its running decent boost.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
...........Big question here is: 300km to how many L though? Might have a vacuum leak somewhere...

How can I test for this??
If you're in Sydney. Bring it to us for a smoke test.
@Dice can attest how useful that machine is ;)

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Cool machine and pretty quick to setup and find leaks! I can't believe other workshops moan about doing boost / vac leak tests.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Cool machine and pretty quick to setup and find leaks! I can't believe other workshops moan about doing boost / vac leak tests.
That's because they don't have our machine ;)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Would love to but located in Canberra :(
Next time you're up this way.... Alternately if you youtube search how to make your own boost leak tester you'll also find stuff there

abz Baks

Idling at the Lights
First Name
abz
Drive
1999 mitsubishi galant vr4 twin turbo
hey guys i just bought a 1999 mitsubishi galant vr4 twin turbo 2.5L its in immac condition but i have a couple of issues
1 is that the tappet noise what oil do you guys recommend

2 out a full tank i only got 210kms and car smells like its running rich

do i change the oxygen sensor and and spark plugs etc

i need your help guys never really owned a mitsubishi before

Top Bottom