Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Post up an intro thread man, that way you'll get hit with all the common threads to read first.

Both questions are incredibly common issues and have been discussed to death. http://www.ozvr4.com/search/ will help immensely. Also, read this thread you're posting in, economy woes have been detailed extensively in the 2321 posts before yours.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I finally did it and cracked into the 7's - 7.98L/100klms to be exact.

Road trip and manual in 5th gear nearly all the way.

Mind you, this was after a major service, new clutch, changing every drop of fluid on the car, brand new tyres (38psi front / 37psi rear), retune etc.

The new found torque meant I was able to stay in 5th regardless of the road incline, which no doubt helped the economy.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I'll go the polar opposite to everyone else. I used 56ltrs and travelled 280km
On my first tank of e85. :p

2nd tank was 290km and 54ltts.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Well its improving i guess ;)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
The new found torque meant I was able to stay in 5th regardless of the road incline, which no doubt helped the economy.

Bejebus, must have some pretty steep hills in your part of the world if it can't handle 5th...

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Bejebus, must have some pretty steep hills in your part of the world if it can't handle 5th...
Yep, a run up and past the Blue Mountains, which can get pretty hilly!

Also need the extra torque to pass those pesky drivers who do 80klm/h in a 90klm/h zone and then stick to 80klm/h even after the speed limit drops to 70klm/h.

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Just did a 322.2km round trip to see mum for Mother's Day (Algester to Goombungee over the Toowoomba range) 27.97litres used.
8.68 l/100kms no performance mods except Greddy intercooler and hard pipes stock Mitsubishi untouched tune.

Had the cruise set at gps 100, myself my sister and my brother on board ,the a/c on the whole drive, is auto and has 40153 kms on it first time I've driven it in seven months.

Unbelievable how economical it is when I don't drive like a cock haha.

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
Just did a 322.2km round trip to see mum for Mother's Day (Algester to Goombungee over the Toowoomba range) 27.97litres used.
8.68 l/100kms no performance mods except Greddy intercooler and hard pipes stock Mitsubishi untouched tune.

Had the cruise set at gps 100, myself my sister and my brother on board ,the a/c on the whole drive, is auto and has 40153 kms on it first time I've driven it in seven months.

Unbelievable how economical it is when I don't drive like a cock haha.

Wow you have very little mileage on your vr4. Those are about right with a veery long drive. I think that generally a/c doesn't doesnt enlarge consumption too much in a vr4. It is the cold weather (which you guys don't have too often).

Actually by adding few more degrees of advance to cruise areas, consumption becomes little lower. :)

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
I've gone straight E85 and only do short trips. Last tank I got 21.5 l/100 kms, which considering my stop/start driving and E85 burning more (non technical description), I thought that's not too bad.

Would work out to be about 275 kms from full to empty.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Mike
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 COTY
2022 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
1999 Honda Civic EX
I did my first test to see my MPG in the US. After changing out Spark Plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter, PCV valve, belts, and every fluid. I am getting 350km per tank which is 6km/L or 14MPG. I do drive with a lead foot sometimes.😎 Is their anything else I should be replacing to help with fuel economy? The car is stock with 35,000KM on her.

I also get smoke on start up that last about 30 seconds but only in the morning after she has been sitting for at least 10 hours. Bluish tint to smoke so I believe its oil. Oil levels are fine after 2500km of driving.

I only us Top Tier 98 Octane

Last edited:

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
35,000 Kms only? Is it a rebuilt motor?
When you fill up, how many litres or gallons does it take? I fill up t about 350kms but there's at least 15 - 20 litres still in the tank. Our fuel gauges are poorly calibrated from factory.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
When you fill up, how many litres or gallons does it take? I fill up t about 350kms but there's at least 15 - 20 litres still in the tank. Our fuel gauges are poorly calibrated from factory.
Yep she has 35,000km original kilometers. The engine has not been rebuilt. The gas light was on for a few miles before filing her up. She took about 14 gallons. I still had about an 1/8 of tank at 350km before filling up again.

Last edited:

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Yep she has 35,000km original kilometers. The engine has not been rebuilt. The gas light was on for a few miles before filing her up. She took about 14 gallons. I still had about an 1/8 of tank at 350km before filling up again.
Yep that's about as far you would take it.
My light comes on earlier so it's nqr.
O2 sensors are generally the first place to start, providing you don't any vacuum or boost leaks. Make sure your MAF sensors is clean, use only a spray cleaner. Is in an auto? The throttle settings are tricky with a IPS and a TPS sensor if fitted. I'm assuming stock CDH390 cc injectors and Iridium spark plugs, especially for the rear bank.
Cheers for now.

Last edited:

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
So I did another test, I drove 350km, light wasn't on yet but getting close, then filled her up with 45 liters. I'm guess that I am getting the average for this vehicle.

Last edited:

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
So I did another test, I drove 350km, light wasn't on yet but getting close, then filled her up with 45 liters. I'm guess that I am getting the average for this vehicle.
That's about right, 12.5L per 100km.
My daughter has owned 2 Toyota V6's n/a and never gets better than high 12's.
I wouldn't swap the performance for that sake of a few dollars.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
We are in the middle of winter and I did a test for the last week with an average temp of 10°F or -12°C for most of you. Now at 48,000km I have replaced the timing belt, added a 3" Intercooler, RPW downpipe, EVO IV 3" De-Cat, 3" Magnaflow Exaust, K&N Box filter, Deatschwerks 255lph fuel pump. I have no tune yet. Last tank was 317KM with exactly 7.7L left in the tank.

LEGVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
First consumption test in new 98 Legnum.
Mostly town travel.
20.12L / 100klm's.
22.88L fuel left. Showing at 2 notches above empty on the fuel gauge.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
First consumption test in new 98 Legnum.
Mostly town travel.
20.12L / 100klm's.
22.88L fuel left. Showing at 2 notches above empty on the fuel gauge.
That seems absurdly high. How many kms did you do with 22.88L left?

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
That's impressive! I've never done worse than 16 and that's flat out or stopped.
This is where an AFR meter is helpful.
Fouled injectors, faulty FPR and or plugs are gone. How does it run, any smoke out the tail pipe?

LEGVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
yeah, I was not impressed. Probably needs new plugs, leads, etc. Wasn't even much "spirited driving". No smoke at all but exhaust does smell a bit "rich" so not getting an efficient combustion.

Top Bottom