Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

G

Unregistered
I can't imagine it would effect it to much? once you start getting up in the power it really does become less of an issue IMO, where as my 50KW Leone does feel the power loss

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I can't imagine it would effect it to much? once you start getting up in the power it really does become less of an issue IMO, where as my 50KW Leone does feel the power loss

That's strange I never really noticed any difference in the 206 Pug I was driving. I left the aircon on all summer and even had it on for long periods (heating) in winter. The Pug was 55kw.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
On the weekend I disconnected the battery to reset the ECU and also added a bottle of Nulon fuel system cleaner. Time will tell if this helped with the fuel consumption. I should be able to add some more data to my spreadsheet shortly.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I managed to get 500km out of the full tank with 98 octane.. that's the only petrol i use since i got the car...

that's city and highway driving and a bit of boost..

G

Unregistered
LOL maybe not a fair comparison, the Subie is old and shit and i think the compressor is seized a bit :p

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Mmm, my Lude was a guzzler the second you turned on the air-con but I think it was a similar situations as yours Jase.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
10l/100 should be about right for the size of engine these have if used with avereage acceleration. of course like any car you can use it allot quicker, i am only getting 10 - 15ltr/100 in my old cordia turbo, can get as bad as 20l/100km if i push it and its only a little car lol

these shouldnt be any worse really thou as they are allot newer and more refined :) cant wait

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
I am not worried about fuel, I used to get 300km out of a 120lt tank in my Torana.

:)

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I've got my second set of data

This time we got 303km from 38.45 litres which works out to 12.690 L/100Km's

So it looks like it's come down a bit.

Be interesting to see what the next set of results show after the fuel system clear has had time to go to work.

G

Unregistered

Be interesting to see what the next set of results show after the fuel system clear has had time to go to work.

I am getting very similar economy out of my manual which is good to know

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S

how do you work out those figures? do you let it run till empty and carry a jerry can? otherwise how do you get these precise figures?

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Do the Galants / Leggys run rich when upping the boost? If so, then I would expect a SAFC assist. Does anyone have an SAFC in their Leggy? I am thinking of transferring mine from the skyline to the Leggy when it arrives. (that said I didn't notice much change when I installed it on the line)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
how do you work out those figures? do you let it run till empty and carry a jerry can? otherwise how do you get these precise figures?

Fill it till it's full, drive it and keep track of the k's, and then refill it til full, and how much you put in it is how much it used.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Fill it till it's full, drive it and keep track of the k's, and then refill it til full, and how much you put in it is how much it used.

ah ofcourse, makes perfect sense really! I guess you also need to keep track of how many litres you put in, otherwise it doesnt make sense!

thanks for clearing that up! When i get my leggie maybe you could make your spreadsheet publically available as a template, then we can compare the data.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6

No need to do that. Filler up until the first click of the pump, record the cost of the fuel and how much you put in. Most of the sales dockets have that info on them. Reset the trip meter then drive until the red light comes on. Record the KM's traveller and repeat the process. The figures will never be "precise" but it'll give you a fairly good idea. Then after you've done this several times you can come up with an average.

Never ever run a fuel tank to empty. God knows what type of craps in the bottom of the tank and filters don't always do that good a job.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
thanks for clearing that up! When i get my leggie maybe you could make your spreadsheet publically available as a template, then we can compare the data.

sure I can do that. If someone can tell me how up load a xls file. I keep getting an error message.

edit: OK I've uploaded the file. Although it says fuel.txt you will have to rename the file as fuel.zip. To do so right mouse click on the file name and select "SAVE AS". Save the file as FUEL.ZIP. After you have done that use winzip or whatever you normally use to extract zip files and away you go. Don't forget to save the file somewhere where you can find it easily.

cheers

Attachments

• fuel.txt
    7.2 KB · Views: 73

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Rasi - they do run very rich especially when you are accelerating. An SAFC would be a good idea :)

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
sure I can do that. If someone can tell me how up load a xls file. I keep getting an error message.

edit: OK I've uploaded the file. Although it says fuel.txt you will have to rename the file as fuel.zip. To do so right mouse click on the file name and select "SAVE AS". Save the file as FUEL.ZIP. After you have done that use winzip or whatever you normally use to extract zip files and away you go. Don't forget to save the file somewhere where you can find it easily.

cheers

thanks Pete!

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
OK got the car back from neil Lowe Motorsport in Slacks Creek Brisbane and the verdict is it's running 0.75 rich on boost. Now as far as I'm aware the turbos are small and start to boost at around 2000 to 2200 rpm.
Is that right or wrong.
Now if thats correct they will be boosting (small amounts) continually in general driving. Therefore they are "on" most of the time.

My other question is, can someone explain what he meant by 0.75 rich. I believe its related to the fuel MAPS in the ECU. Can the factory ECU maps be altered to correct the over fueling. Getting the fuel maps correct would also mean more power.

Top Bottom