Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

G

Unregistered
Just got a shade under 15l/100km for my first tank after pickup from compliance workshop. That was with Mobil 8000 if that makes any difference. All city - suburban commute driving with stop-start traffic - mostly conservative with a couple of favourite twisty bits plus a test to see if there is a rev limiter. I don't think there is.

G

Unregistered
I get about 4.5k's per L with the antilag off, and about 1.5K per L with it switched on.

If I get caught in traffic... I'll load the plugs. I carry a set of "NGK-5's", a plug spanner and long nose pliers.

Yeah I know... it's a bitch! But it blows flames out the back on every gear change....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
lol :)

my car apparently blows flame out of the back of the car sometimes too, but I've never seen it :(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Well you have one of two choices there, Brad - either design a harness / mount for a video recorder, and maybe plumb it back into a screen in your car... or let someone ELSE drive it. Yes I know the second option is a bit stupid, but I had to suggest it as a POSSIBILITY... You know, purely theoretically ;)

G

Unregistered
lol :)

my car apparently blows flame out of the back of the car sometimes too, but I've never seen it :(

my 33 used to blow insanely large flames... i used to be able to see them between the wing and the bootlid, and a mate of mine driving behind me in the next lane one day said they extended about 1.5-2 metres :p

i also used to get horrid fuel economy in it, but it was fun to smash the limiter with tail-gaters, and watch their nose dip as they jump on the brakes :p

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Fuel economy is pretty consistant for me now, barr tanks where i am in the hills or somethng, but i usually get just over 11l/100 kms now

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
my feul comsumption now sucks....driving like a granny, QTR throttle all the time, i can't get more than 300k's out of $80 of feul...WTF is going on...???

G

Unregistered
Fuel economy is pretty consistant for me now, barr tanks where i am in the hills or somethng, but i usually get just over 11l/100 kms now

Is that urban driving? I would be impressed if it is.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Well after some very spirited driving on the first full tank of fuel we managed to get approx 12.5l / 100km. Which appears to be quite good. Hopefully it improves slightly. The fuel gague is quite interesting tho as I had already done about 100kms before the fuel gague started on the downward spiral.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
The fuel gague is quite interesting tho as I had already done about 100kms before the fuel gague started on the downward spiral.

Yeah that's about the same for me. In urban driving on BP Ultra I get about 380km before the petrol gauge light goes on... If I drive country though I can near on get 500km before the light goes on... A huge difference...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Its not really surprising, though - if you're doing 100-110km/h the turbo will hardly be boosting at all. However even if you're not giving the car hell, with these tiny turbos spooling up at such low revs it'd be pretty difficult not to get on boost moving up through the first three gears. So stop-start traffic in one of these will be substantially worse than other tubo or NA cars due to the practically non-existent lag.

I guess the alternative is to add an electronic boost controller with a setting for a completely open waste-gate - you'll lose a fair bit of power, but your fuel economy will improve for city driving. :)

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
why does mine suck so bad....dirty throttle body...??? its rediculous, feul light on again, with 247 k's out of a full tank.... 200k's of that being h/way...not cool guys...

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
why does mine suck so bad....dirty throttle body...??? its rediculous, feul light on again, with 247 k's out of a full tank.... 200k's of that being h/way...not cool guys...

Run 98 RON only. Disconnect the battery and leave disconnect for 30 minutes. Have a look around under the car and near the fuel tank. Look for leaks. Next time the car is running stand behind the car and have a smell of the exhaust, does it smell of fuel. Have the spark plugs changed. Get a professional CARBON clean done. Add some fuel system cleaner to your next couple of refills. Have your oxygen sensors checked. Check to be sure your air filter is clean and is not blocking air flow.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
It does run rich when cold, i can smell it(heaps, in car with windows up), i only run BP Ultimate, as i don't want detonation, being a turbo and imported for that matter, the air filter is brand new, i also resetted the ecu tonight, and "relearnt" it with a spirited drive, followed by a nice steady h/way cruise, and iv'e noticed on occasion when booting it, i looked in rear veiw mirror, and when it hit boost, a huge puff of black smoke pumped out, i know turbo's blow a bit of smoke when boosting, but not like this, looked like a deisel , but only does it first time when boosted for that day e.t.c , so i might put a set of plugs in it(manifold off by the look of it...Weekend jobbie), give the manifold/t-body a good clean while off with throttle body cleaner, and then run some Subaru upper cyl cleaner through it, that stuff is awesome....(I also suspect it may have had a couple of sporatic faults logged, as its running smoother, boosting smoother e.t.c, and petrol didn't move in 50k's...for a change that is...lol...Anyways, what plugs do these take...platinum i spose..., and does anyone know why on earth it would run this rich...safety reasons...???Thanks heaps for the help guys...much appreciated...and i'm spose to be the mechanic.. :rolleyes: (runs back to Tech)...oh and also them feul tank additives are useless....really advise to remove from vehicle (injectors that is) and have them ultrasonically cleaned, and individually flow tested, i'm going to do mine at work as soon as i can, and anyone else who wants to post them down to me, i can do yours too, for a very small fee that is ($10 will do), i'll also give you an injector service report.......oop's off topic.......again sorry....thanks for the help guys, i'll keep trying....Fred.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I just drove to melbourne and back.

Best I got over the whole trip was 10km/L. Though I never used more than 3/4 of a tank before refilling.

Around town, I generally get between 6 and 8 km/L. It's terrible, but I am getting used to it. Still haven't got any further in looking for a remap of the stock ECU to lean it out. I think that is the only option to get more out of it.

G

Unregistered
Fred I would get those injectors done ASAP, it nearly sounds as though your injectors aren't closing properly causing it run a little rich. As for a puff of black smoke when you first spool up the turbo's, I personally don't experience this. The first time I gave it some stick after picking it up it did, but since then I think the cobwebs are gone because it hasn't done it since.

As for economy I usually get around 13-14L per 100km. So to me that's about 330km before getting down to 1/4 of a tank, and for the most part that's only taking it up to 3.5k in every day traffic. Then being a bit of an idiot when not driving to and from work. The worst so far was only reaching 250km on the 3/4 tank which worked out to be about 17L per 100km. That involved a 30km very spiritied run through mountains.

Top Bottom