Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I'd be interested in seeing how much fuel is being used by our various VR-4's. Data such as Legnum or Galant, type of driving, cost for fuel, number of K's between fills.

My current figures are fairly meaningless as I've only had mine on the road for 7 days and in that time it's only covered approx 170km. The fuel cost me $1.309/L and I put in $30. Most of that driving was in city traffic. So on that small sample of data my fuel consumption really sucks.

Once I've tracked a couple of full tanks I'll have a better idea if the figures are way to high. They should come in around 11 litres per 100 k's. At the moment it's way up at 20l/100.

cheers

Pete

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I get between 10l/100km and 12l/100km.

On my ST-R I'm getting 8l/100km

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Series 2 VR4's are supposed to be more efficient than Series 1.
Manual VS auto would make a difference too (auto drink more usually)

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I was getting around 12l/100 around town, than then 10l/100 and less on the open road, that's manual Galant VR-4.

G

Unregistered
is there any notable consumption differences between the galant and legnum?

Peter, perhaps a service or a long country run might help clean the engine out and bring the fuel consumption down?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
My current figures are fairly meanless as I've only had mine on the road for 7 days and in that time it's only covered approx 170km.

I'd say you can totally disregard those initial figures. It's just not possible to gain enough information based on 170kms of driving a new car - for a number of reasons.
Give the ECU some time to adjust to Australian fuel, and give yourself some time to get used to driving the car. None of us will get good figures from the first few tanks. I know I won't, because I'll probably be on and off the throttle like an idiot for the first few weeks as I get the hang of all the power. :p

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Agreed - you'll need a good tank full of 98 octane before you start seeing real figures.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Gilly, facelifts won't be much better than pre-facelifts but there will be a small difference.

Auto's are worse around town, but out on the open road they run at 2500rpm at 110kmh compared to 3000rpm at 100kmh for a manual and they tend to use a bit more on long motorway drives.

Paul - I still have it sitting around, it will go into the ST-R

G

Unregistered
i recently took my galant to hobart and it is 300k's to hobart and i used half a tank eack way so 600k's to a full tank of 98. and had a bit of fun i might add hitting 180

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
i recently took my galant to hobart and it is 300k's to hobart and i used half a tank eack way so 600k's to a full tank of 98. and had a bit of fun i might add hitting 180

That's really not that bad I was expecting around 450k's to a 60ltr tank. So I guess in the city we can prob expect that. Depending on how heavy your foot is as well I spose.

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
I'd say you can totally disregard those initial figures. It's just not possible to gain enough information based on 170kms of driving a new car - for a number of reasons. ....
I know I won't, because I'll probably be on and off the throttle like an idiot for the first few weeks as I get the hang of all the power. :p

Yeah Pete's aware of that. He's got a spreadsheet setup into which the data will be entered. And from that, after a few tanks of petrol, we should be able to get a better idea of the fuel consumption.

Pete's other "passion" was his modified R32 Skyline so he has a pretty good idea how to drive a turbo to maximise the fuel usage.

The only thing is I'll be driving the Leggy and I need to get used to driving a manual again after driving a Auto for the last 12 years or so.

Mel-D

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Pete's other "passion" was his modified R32 Skyline so he has a pretty good idea how to drive a turbo to maximise the fuel usage.

Mel-D

Hahahaha! Sounds like my driving style!

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
Hahahaha! Sounds like my driving style!

I actually meant minimise. Although sometimes the R32 came home extremely hot and Pete would come in with a huge smile :D on his face, so I think I was correct.

G

Unregistered
I get about 380 out of a tank around town using 98, but I do tend to have my foot on the floor a lot. I will be interested to see what I can get from a long trip.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
I usually get 400km - 420km town driving, when I fill up I still have 10L left...

Since I've started this new tank I've been driving around without exceeding the speed limits just to see how much fuel i can eke out of out if I'm careful.

G

Unregistered
I think on boost they really put the fuel away, but power comes at a price :p i got crap economy when i first got it, but it is getting better and better the ECU gets used to our shit fuel. at the moment i am getting about 200km out of half a tank of city and hill driving

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
I think on boost they really put the fuel away, but power comes at a price :p i got crap economy when i first got it, but it is getting better and better the ECU gets used to our shit fuel. at the moment i am getting about 200km out of half a tank of city and hill driving

Ja for sure, I was the same - my first tank I got 280km out of it but that was when i was in my "performance testing" stage. Like you said, performance certainly comes at a price.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
600km is a little too optimistic, most people will get 350-400km around town and around 500km out on the open road (that is filling up after having used 50 litres)

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
how much effect does using the air-con have on fuel efficiency in Galants?

Top Bottom