Fuel Gauge view incorrect

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
02 vr4 galant, 92 vr4, 85 starion
Been noticing that when i am almost on empty the car still has 30ltrs in it, gives me the shits on long drives:001_unsure: is this the same 4 others starting 2 think mine is becoming toast?

G

Unregistered
Can drive around on the light for about 20-30km; when I fill up, it takes 49-50L. I found the same with my old N****n Sk****e. Fuel gauge would barely move for 100km, then dip down really quickly from 100-300km, then sit on almost empty until 400km, then the light would come on.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
VR-4 fuel guages are notorious for being inaccurate and non-linear.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
yeah my fuel gauge takes about 200kms before it drops past the 3/4 mark, then it drops really quickly. When fuel light comes on it usually only takes about 40 liters to fill it, which means I have a third of a tank left and quite far from empty!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
You guys should drive my Caddy. Get over 500kms easily in the 1st half of the tank, struggle to get 200kms on the 2nd half.

The Legnum's fuel gauge on mine isn't as bad, but I do notice it goes up at odd times :eek:hmy:

I remember the Smart car's gauge when it gets to empty, it then shows a digital display counting down the litres on the dash. I'd like that!

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Filler up then drive until the light comes on and stays on. Repeat several times and you'll have a average of how far you can go on a tank before refilling is required.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I have recently discovered, the last two tanks, that the needle goes WELL under the empty line!

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
02 vr4 galant, 92 vr4, 85 starion
Thanks guys 4 info, think mine has 20ltrs when the light comes on, sometimes only 30ltrs to fill from between empty and half! sweet still my 6th gen vr4 was correct 2 the tee not bad for a 92 car?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I haven't done it in the Leggie but my other cars I have intentionally run the car down till it runs out of fuel JUST so I can see where true empty is.

Driving the Leggie these last two tanks down to the E (so well below the last line), the most either tank took was 56ltrs.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
It was strange, I would think for the first half that I was getting awesome fuel economy, then it'd drop really fast, and I would be able to drive for a good 60km before having to fill up.. And even then would still have 5-10L left! Then I would push it more and more each time until I found a sweet spot by judging the KM I drive!

I got really good at judging with the KM how many K's I'd have left in my tank hehe.. Just reset your KM thingy each refill and learn the patterns :)

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Something inside me can't let myself run it to the light comes on. The whole exposing the in-tank pump just sends shivers down my spine as most cases in which the fuel pump dies is due to overheating from people regularly having it exposed (lack there of cooling due to not having fuel around it), aka extra low fuel tank.

Unless anyone can throw some light onto this for me, like the actual location of the pump within the tank, etc.

I always refill @ 1/4 but only ever seem to fit in 32 - 40+ ltrs.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I have put 52 Litres in my S2 when the needle was 1mm under the bottom marker. The S1 took 52 Litres with the needle around 3mm under the same marker. I have never seen it that low before and was sure it would have taken close to 60 litres.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I have put 52 Litres in my S2 when the needle was 1mm under the bottom marker. The S1 took 52 Litres with the needle around 3mm under the same marker. I have never seen it that low before and was sure it would have taken close to 60 litres.
In my old Leggie I got to about 5mm under the line a couple of times, with only 55l needed.. lol

Top Bottom