Fuel pump not priming - car slow to start - why?

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Hi - at some stage during my mucking around with the fuel system the fuel pump has stopped priming, so it only runs when the key is moved to the start position, and this means when starting after the car has been sitting for a few minutes, its sluggish to start as it takes a few seconds of cranking to bring up the fuel pressure. once started the car runs fine.

Basically it needs a few seconds or sometimes more of cranking then it slowly grumbles up into life.

is there a relay or something specific i should be looking for that controls the pre start priming? or is it the ECU that controls priming (but i havent touched the ECU...)

apparently some of the early evos dont even have a priming circuit for the fuel pump, but this symptom has just appeared for me and i reckon its come and gone a bit in the past as well. im quite sure it used to prime.. it certainly used to bang into life much better than it is at the moment..

any ideas??

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
That's standard for my FL, only runs the pump at the start position. Much like yours and several others I've read of, it stumbles for a second before cold start raised idle. Even if I let it prime for a second or two before I start via clutch switch, makes little difference. Some days it starts better than others. Still drives fine, still fine under load, I've ignored it.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
It's a VR4 Thing, not for us to understand™ :D

I'm running a Stevebro pump & Tuna and it still hates cold start.

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Hmm, for the best part over the last 5 yrs it fires up quite respectably, not like some cars, but briskly enough.... since a week ago, i did something when fiddling on the fuel side (swapping pumps back and forth, cutting into the fuel line) and now it takes a lot longer, its embarassingly slow to start once its been sitting for a while.. Apart from that it all seems good.

I might need to redo the spot where i put in a brass T piece fitting to take off the fuel pressure guage, maybe that is not sealed well enough..i sealed the threads with Gas tape and the clamps are proper EFI clamps.. Why is it that everytime i touch something i break something else! <shakes fist at car>

i even replaced the o ring on the end of the fuel pump with a nice new tight one.. you try and do the right thing and where does it get you! argh! :)

<end rant>

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Mine does this too. Walbro pump, tuned, fuel pressure gauge that shows me there is good pressure in the rail. Still on a cold start she'll stumble for a second before coming up.

My theory is a dirty ISC that needs cleaning.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Mine does this too . huge stumble on first start of the day. But I have to say it didn't do it before I fitted my FMIC

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
My hypothesis is slightly incorrect cold start afr from slower velocity intake path that bigger piping and 'cooler endows. In my case, ISCV is fine, throttle body is clean. Cold cranking enrichment duty cycle would have been set by oem for stock cooler, piping etc. Fires up fine if I let it crank but not fire, then let it start on the second attempt.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Well in that case, I'll just leave it be.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Either pump is on the way out or you have a leak with the o-ring sealing the pump to the harness.

I had a similar issue. took forever to finally catch, when it did it was fine. It seemed to lose all fuel in the line which caused it to take ages to start.

Seeing as you have taken the pump in and out a few times, it might have gotten a split in the o-ring. Hit @TME_Steve up for a new one.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Either pump is on the way out or you have a leak with the o-ring sealing the pump to the harness.

I had a similar issue. took forever to finally catch, when it did it was fine. It seemed to lose all fuel in the line which caused it to take ages to start.

Seeing as you have taken the pump in and out a few times, it might have gotten a split in the o-ring. Hit @TME_Steve up for a new one.

when you started getting the fueling issue on start, did you notice any fuel issues on hard cornering too?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive

In my case, I can sit there and prime the rail for 10 seconds (and also see the rail pressure come up to and hold 36psi) and it will still have an initial very low idle for 2 seconds or so. I've also seen the car hold that pressure in the rail for over an hour after shutoff, so it's not that. I have a brand new pump, and new O-ring.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum

As above!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
In my case, I can sit there and prime the rail for 10 seconds (and also see the rail pressure come up to and hold 36psi) and it will still have an initial very low idle for 2 seconds or so. I've also seen the car hold that pressure in the rail for over an hour after shutoff, so it's not that. I have a brand new pump, and new O-ring.
for the guys that have had this issue, fitting a new pump fixed it. Mine was was fixed after changing pumps

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Or boost leak

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
My car has always done the first-start-of-the-day stumble. Both before and after I swapped the stock intercooler and piping for x3emotorsports items, before and after the Walbro fuel pump went in, and before and after I had it tuned by TME_Steve.

My theory is that it needs a coffee in the morning to wake up, like the owner does.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
My car has always done the first-start-of-the-day stumble. Both before and after I swapped the stock intercooler and piping for x3emotorsports items, before and after the Walbro fuel pump went in, and before and after I had it tuned by TME_Steve.

My theory is that it needs a coffee in the morning to wake up, like the owner does.

Thanks mate. Nothing like some empirical evidence.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
I do love a challenge though. I challenge myself to find a reason for the stumble that I can consistently identify and resolve!

Only problem is I have to wait a day between each test unless I find the answer quickly. :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Boost leak makes it run lean. Lean enough to stumble on start but run fine.

Top Bottom