Galant vs evo and sti's

G

Unregistered
how would the galant compete angainst the evo VI and the wrx sti 97-99 stock forms... i know you wont find any of them in stock form but how would it go against them? Tried serching but my serachs find nothing.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
how would the galant compete angainst the evo VI and the wrx sti 97-99 stock forms... i know you wont find any of them in stock form but how would it go against them? Tried serching but my serachs find nothing.

Galants have nothing on these cars in stock form. The average stock Galant will complete the 1/4 mile in around 14.5 where the wrx does it in 13.7 and evo 9 around 13.4.

I will say that the Galants have much more potential than the evo's and wrx's being larger capacity engine and 2 more cylinders; check out my 1/4 time. That's with about $3500 worth of go fast bits!

G

Unregistered
hmm i see thanks guys exceptional handling is always a bonus!!! 3500 is nice epecialy for that time.

but in sayin that if u spent that much on an evo or sti how much faster would that make them :S

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
hmm i see thanks guys exceptional handling is always a bonus!!! 3500 is nice epecialy for that time.

but in sayin that if u spent that much on an evo or sti how much faster would that make them :S

you are correct, but how much more expensive are they....

G

Unregistered
hmmm ture the evos are away out of the ball park. 25k-35k stis about the same.

Bad-Karma

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
Having owned an STi before my Legnum, I can say that stock for stock, the galant would be crushed by the STi or even a wrx in terms of straight line or any other type of performance.

Bad-Karma

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
The same in a WRX or EVO would have the same effect, and the Galant would still be left behind unfortunately.

Relevant to the below post :)

||
\ /

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Yah, certainly not as quick as an Evo or an STI in stock form but our cars are pretty quick off the line.
Get a $29 turbo tech boost controller, boost it to 13psi, full exhaust and a front mount and you'll be ripping people.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sorry but a stock VR-4 will beat a stock WRX easily. We need to have a boost controller to keep up with a stock EVO or STI though.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
If I could go back in time and do all my mods again, I would go straight for the turbo upgrade from day one... it would work out to a car that costs maybe $20k but would totally kill any sti or evo.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I'd imagine we'd line up about the same time 0-100 as the previous model WRX seeing as I can pull just under 6 seconds to 100 in my Series 1 Auto (20hp less then other VR4's, only zorst). A STI or EVO would definitely beat a VR4 in stock form though, need a couple mods to match up.
Interesting read on wikipedia about the VR4's actually. They were competing with the Subaru Legacys (Libertys over here) in the rallys in the 80's until the Lancer and Impreza showed up as the rally cars generally got smaller. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galant_vr4

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Well, in a head to head match with a stock 07 WRX, i beat him.. his nose was in line with my side indicator.. (behind wheel arch, in front of front door)..

I guess it was the extra turbo that helped? my car was completely stock then too, except for wheels and BOV..

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
haha how do they go against those lil beasts?

G

Unregistered
Not well :p

I own both and although the GTiR has a fair few extensive mods in it's current form, back in it's standard days it had no problems handing STI and EVO owners their asses on a silver platter when racing in a straight line... Going around corners is a completely different story! :D

The GTiR is prone to heavy understeer stock. Add some coilovers and longer caster rods and this problem disappears leaving you with a unassuming hatchback ready to tear Rex's apart up and down the track all day :D

As someone mentioned a couple of posts above, the Legnum feels more like a touring car to me. Plenty of get up and go, but a little too heavy to compete in the same league as the rally cars. That's not to say that it won't give some of them a thrashing...

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
I just blew an aqua coloured SS commodore on my lunch time.
His nose was at my rear small window.
Pretty happy with my car, but i don't know. It needs a bit more power. I'd like to be able to feel the g-force when it takes off. Hopefully i'll get that after an FMIC, full exhaust and a tune :)

Stock for stock, my car only managed to beat an S15. It was a struggle.
After I boosted it up to 11psi, my car went well against a S14 200SX on 10psi with FMIC.

Top Bottom