Galant vs evo and sti's

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yeah but I was quicker than them out of the corners too, I could put my power down

-T8-

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tate
Drive
WRX CSE5, 7g galant
One car i'm very curious about going against is the grumbly little VW R32.
Has anyone had a go against one of these?

Too scared of embarrassment ha ha
3.2LT V6 in a hatchback??? Its gotta be quick..
Must suffer cronic understeer

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
nah I took one of those on in my tx3 turbo - I won by the skin of my teeth and that one just had boost, exhaust, jap spec ECU and fiddled plugs
no way would it beat my legnum I reckon... though the leggy can't launch as hard as my laser could

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i dont understand why the definition of a fast car is the result of a traffic light grand prix. i never 'drag' people coz it only shows one aspect of the car, especially an aspect which isnt this cars selling point. its not even testing power, but torque, gear ratio's, traction and driver reaction time.

maybe its due to SA not having a drag strip, or our race track like hills 10 mins from town, but i judge how 'fast' a car is based on handling, power, braking, etc which u can only get on twisty roads.

needless to say, VR4's are awesome when it comes to twisty roads. the low down torque rocket's it out of corners, where the awd and AYC allows u to chuck it into the corner without wiping off much speed. recently had a thrash with a few skylines, a stagea (RS260), ceffy's and a supra. none could pull away from me, and when i over took them, barely any could keep up. the only thing that well and truely handed me my ass was a modded r32 GTR.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I'm rather surprised the RS260 couldn't give you a run for your money.

Also the R32 is apparently slower round the track than the GTi due to the extra weight.

Also we all know that at the end of the day it's the driver who makes the difference.

Anyone remember what times we were lapping at Wakefield? My GF's dad used to race mini's and put his stock mx5 (semi slicks) around it in 1:14.

i dont understand why the definition of a fast car is the result of a traffic light grand prix. i never 'drag' people coz it only shows one aspect of the car, especially an aspect which isnt this cars selling point. its not even testing power, but torque, gear ratio's, traction and driver reaction time.

maybe its due to SA not having a drag strip, or our race track like hills 10 mins from town, but i judge how 'fast' a car is based on handling, power, braking, etc which u can only get on twisty roads.

needless to say, VR4's are awesome when it comes to twisty roads. the low down torque rocket's it out of corners, where the awd and AYC allows u to chuck it into the corner without wiping off much speed. recently had a thrash with a few skylines, a stagea (RS260), ceffy's and a supra. none could pull away from me, and when i over took them, barely any could keep up. the only thing that well and truely handed me my ass was a modded r32 GTR.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I'm rather surprised the RS260 couldn't give you a run for your money.
same, i wanted to see what it could do. he blipped the throttle a few times and left our cars for dead. but again i think it was the driver. however around the tight corners he struggled a bit.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I thought the RS260 had the full GTR traction control setup which I would have thought rivaled our AYC..

I guess they are an expensive car... and it seems that generally driving skill decreases with the amount of money spent on a vehicle.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Anyone remember what times we were lapping at Wakefield? My GF's dad used to race mini's and put his stock mx5 (semi slicks) around it in 1:14.

You and Emanuel were doing 1:15's continually when I kept out of your way, I think Emanuel had a couple of 1:13's mixed in amongst those based on Video's, I was doing 21's and 22"s :blush::blush::blush:.

Semi slicks @ wakefield can make as much as 5's a lap difference.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
defiantly. i think weight plays a massive part too. however i wouldnt think a stagea would be much heaiver than a gtr with its wide body and all the extra's from the standard GT's.

mind u, the dude had horrible bob jane special rims with stock suspension, where spending big on the engine. *face palm*.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Really? We were doing alright then :) Thanks Kat! Can't wait to rub it in with my GF's dad :p

Steve > By RS260 are you saying a stag with an rb26 dumped in it? I don't know if they ever did factory RS260's but my impression of them was basically a GTR transplanted into a wagon... and the wagon chassis gets worked over with braces etc. too.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The RS260's are something like 150-200kg heavier than a Legnum and their 4wd system is basically a traction control system, a way to make a RWD car pull itself out of corners without oversteering. It only sends power to the front after it detects the rears spinning. It is probably fairly complicated, but not a patch on AYC.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
You can tell the stags are bigger and heavier than the Leggy's even just from looking at them. These are pretty light wagons really, the new 370z is heavier and it's a 2 door ffs and the new EVO X is pretty much the same weight.
And yes, AYC is just amazingly good. Nothing like coming into a corner at a decent speed and just breezing through it like you're on rails. Understeer be gone!

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
has any one compared the galant(sorry, and legnum too) to the B4 liberty. cause i hav been in one of them and it flew, maybe it was the sounds though

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
The B4s had a shocking torque drop off between when the first and second turbos spooled up. Pretty bad TT factory set up.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
One car i'm very curious about going against is the grumbly little VW R32.
Has anyone had a go against one of these?

Not just a straight race, but one day set off from some lights onto the beginning of a motorway.

slow car in front of me, truck next to me. When a gap a appeared I floored it and set off onto the motorway.

Looked in the rear vision and the VW behind me followed, and was right with me all the way to 100km/hr

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Guy i used to work with had a 2008 R32 and had many runs. On stock boost it was neck and neck but with 14 psi i would leave him behind, not massive tho.

There was also a roundabout we used to go thru that there was no way i could keep up with him thru, but if it was a big wide corner then i had the AYC and power to get away. The narrow little ones, he would beat me.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I can speak from experience when I say that an EVO 7 with 18PSI boost is not much quicker than a Legnum with 14PSI boost. Neighbor has owned his for about 3 months now and still swears my Legnum is quicker (Although we have now proved its not lol). Between 0 and 100km/h he has half a car but he seems to think its because I have to find third before 100 and he doesn't. I catch him at anything over 100 before 130 while he recovers after shifting and he leaves me behind from there :(

Both cars are Manual's BTW, mine with handling mods, boost and an exhaust

Top Bottom