NSW G'day

Japbias

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Peugeot 206 gti
Pfl legnum
Hey all I've been a member having a peak around the forums for a little while reading there's a vast amount of knowledge from you guys

Picked myself up a 1998 legnum vr4 pfl
She currently sits on evo 8 enkies and is stock as a rock with 120,000km
What I plan to do
-Major service (most importantly)
-New cat back exhaust as mine is full of holes
-Front brakes
-Rear shocks
-Replace / fix my front turbo as I suspect wastegate isn't operating properly

One issue that I need to address first is an earth ontop of the intake which is a plate with 2 plugs going into it and a solenoid underneath it. Soon after purchasing it there was no bolt holding them in the car was misfiring and jerking violently at low rpm I've since put a bolt in and it's been hit and miss resolving itself for a while after taking the bolt out and rearranging which way they sit.
Might not be the right spot to ask but if anyone has any advice it'd be much appreciated

Look forward to meeting some of you guys and learning more about these amazing cars

Cheers

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Welcome Jay. No idea what that could be, can you take a pic so we can see and maybe suggest some help?

Japbias

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Peugeot 206 gti
Pfl legnum
Thanks for the welcome jungle
I've attached a picture, my thoughts would be a bad earth connection or the solenoids.
Screenshot_20171129-171926.png

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
welcome mate. what part of nsw are you from. im out near narellan

Japbias

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Peugeot 206 gti
Pfl legnum
Cheers gav! I'm a hour and a half away from Canberra in a small town called young.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Cheers gav! I'm a hour and a half away from Canberra in a small town called young.
Ahh yes I’ve heard of it.
Every so often we All meet up at Bathurst for a drive and a photo shoot.

Japbias

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Peugeot 206 gti
Pfl legnum
Sounds like a good day out, unfortunately nsw p plate restrictions I've got a few months to wait before I can actually drive it, plenty of work to be done in that time :)

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Sounds like a good day out, unfortunately nsw p plate restrictions I've got a few months to wait before I can actually drive it, plenty of work to be done in that time :)
If You need any help or advice I would definitely talk to @TME_Steve

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
welcome to ozvr4.

with the pic you posted. there's no grounding required for them as they are purely for mounting purposes. I think I see the condenser behind it (small cylindrical alloy with 1 wire connected to it)

as for the misfire and jerking at low rpm, do you know if how old/new your spark plugs are? also have you checked for vacuum leaks - pre and post turbo?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
The bit naughtika is talking about is the ignition condenser. It can cause false knock. Make sure that is mounted properly. I'll take a pic and post it shortly of mine.
But yes if I had to guess, the rear bank of spark plugs have most likely not been changed and may add to the rough running.
She auto or manual?

Japbias

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Peugeot 206 gti
Pfl legnum
The issue I had has been solved I just figured I'd post and say just incase it helps anyone

The issue was the MAF
-it was fine when taking off but a few metres down the road it would buck and jerk very violently
-revving the car it would just want to die and drop bellow idle rpm

It was some what intermittent and didn't throw an engine light.

Japbias

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Peugeot 206 gti
Pfl legnum
Brought this car way before I could legally drive it well before getting off my p plates. Only got my full license a few months ago.

Swapped the MAF ages ago just didn't actually have time to road test it.

Top Bottom