Gearbox JAMMED!

Leggs

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 Legnum
Hey all, need a little help. Was driving through the city last night and my gearbox (manual) jammed in 2nd gear. I managed to limp it to a friends house then KICK it into 3rd and drive home.

There was no breaking noise or vibration through the stick so i'm thinking it's a linkage problem.

Any ideas??

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
there's a possibility it could be the clutch. To give an example, when I had the clutch done in my Silvia it wouldn't change into or out of gear once it had warmed up a bit. I eventually found that the slave cyl was actually pushing the clutch plate past centre and re-engageing the clutch. By depressing the clutch pedal half way I was able to change as normal. A quick pedal adjustment fixed the issue.

Don't misunderstand me I'm not suggesting this is your issue, just an example ;)

Leggs

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 Legnum
The clutch seems the be working but i'll check it out, the car is in 3rd at the moment but... the shifter is in the position of 4th?! That's why i think it might be a bent linkage or something similar.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
ah, does sound curiously like a selector linkage.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
had the same issue.. does it feel rubbery when you try and push it out?

check this link, just in case its a similar case..

Leggs

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 Legnum
Thanks Christian, just pulled the airbox and piping out to have a look and that linkage unit is in pieces!

The pipe leading to the rear turbo had a fair bit of oil in it :( is this something to worry about??

G

Unregistered
thats just blow by, happens in all turbo cars you can reduce this by installing a catch can.. hope the linkage dont cost to much and if its not to much trouble could you post a pic?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
ahh yep, that linkage does go in them every so often. It is a cheap part, but I'm guessing that it will be ex-japan, so you'll be driving in 3rd gear everywhere for a wee while :)

Leggs

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 Legnum
i just patched it up with some super glue and cable ties. Should get it to my garage at least.

I'll probably just bolt it all together so it's a little more solid once i get it out.

Thanks for your help everyone

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I'd strongly suggest against super glue..

can you take pics of yours linkage?

Leggs

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 Legnum
Yeah i'll get some pics up in the next couple of days.

Thanks againg for your help everyboby

G

Unregistered
yep i also want to se picture where the shifter bracket is so i can check mine

Top Bottom