Getting the Radio working

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I bought an expander from Super Cheap which was a 20Mhz expander (meaning when the stereo says it's on 80 it's actually on 100).

Unfortunately the factory head unit only goes down to 76 meaning I still can't get the local stations in the low 90's.

Make sure you check your head unit before buying!

I can't really be assed getting another one so I think I'll just live with out the other stations.

Sorry I didn't take any pics, but all you really need to know is the wire you need to connect the expander to is the blue one.

cheers

Lee

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Unfortunately the factory head unit only goes down to 76 meaning I still can't get the local stations in the low 90's.

I had the same problem - and my two fav stations were unreceivable.
So bit the bullet and replaced the head unit.

FRONT USB PORTS ROCK!

G

Unregistered
This is a very handy and informative website for band expanders. I notice that the Diversity FM system hasn't been mentioned yet - I think that's because not all Legnums/Galants were fitted with Diversity headunits & antenna systems. It does create some issues though if you have - My Legnum does have such a system and since I binned my UK stereo and retrofitted an MMCS, I've had a problem.

Have a read of this - It explains the concept in plain english:

http://www.edl.co.nz/ConvertersHP/diverseaerial.htm

Now - The issue I've had is this.... With a standard UK-Spec headunit in, I could recieve all stations via the main aerial lead (Like NZ, the UK doesn't make much use of FM Diversity) but the signal was a tad faint.

Since retrofitting the MMCS, I get the same faint signal, but what makes it worse is that both antennas are now in use - The main one has a band expander on it, the smaller one doesn't - So when the main antenna becomes too weak, it swaps to the secondary antenna - which isn't fitted with a band expander (as the plug is a smaller one) and as such all I get is crackle - the MMCS headunit detects a 0db signal, so it flicks back to the main antenna again..... Then notices that the signal is faint, so flicks back to the smaller one.... You get the idea!!

This is the main page of that link above:

http://www.edl.co.nz/ConvertersHP/

You may not get this problem, it depends on what's fitted and what radio broadcasting is like in Aus - But forewarned is forearmed!;)

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Is there any hassles getting a stereo from the US?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Nope :) A few things you should be aware of, though:
  • If you get a DVD player, make sure its region free AND can play PAL DVDs (if its NTSC only you could have problems, but most can play both)
  • Don't get anything with GPS built in, unless you KNOW it can be converted easily for use with our maps (usually whereis.com).
  • You won't be covered by warranty over here at ALL with pretty much every brand - Pioneer, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Sony all refuse to warrant items that have been parallel imported.
  • Keep your order under AUD$1,000 and you won't have to pay GST or import duty. That DOESN'T include shipping or insurance, either - just the initial cost of the item(s) in question.

You might also find that some of the models we have here aren't available over there, for example Pioneer's range is completely different in Aus than pretty much everywhere else in the world.

Other than that though, you should be fine :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
At the end of the day, Matt, if it gets to your door for $50 less, that's $50 you've saved. The question you have to ask yourself is, is it worth that $50 to gamble that you'll never need warranty?

Case in point - I once bought a Pioneer 72x TrueX CD Rom drive from the US, 'cause they were (and still would be) by far the fastest CD Rom drives on the planet (seriously five times faster than anything you can get, even today). The drive cost me a fortune (comparitively, I think about $190). And sadly after just three months of use it died - Pioneer had used too much heat-sink thermal paste in the drives, and it had run down onto the legs of the ICs, burning out the control chips. At the end of the day it was going to work out more expensive to ship the drive back and forth to the US for warranty, so it just became an expensive lesson (and hey, I DID manage a couple of five minute Windows installs!).

To be honest, 90% of consumer electronics last far longer than you're even going to NEED the item, let alone outliving the warranty. But I'm sure we've all experienced that 10% occasionally, too.

So hey, its a gamble. But most of the time, its one that will pay off :)

G

Unregistered
LOL @ Simply Red, that's some hard car driving music takumi :)

Thats not actually my screen, i found this afterwards and saved me adding another ... can't stand simply red ...

G

Unregistered
Fark you people are a bunch of helpful muthers :) Good work... Thanks for that, the one I'm looking at is a JVC KD-DV5300

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Lqh0yWdCzwm/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=105KDDV530

On ebay they're $190 brans new us... Here the best price I can get is $350...

What do you think...?

i can vouch for JVC, they make great decks.
i bought my first JVC deck off ebay for $699 when they were about $999 at the time...
that was 3 years ago, and its still going strong in my brothers ute.

i just recently bought another JVC DVD deck (KW-AVX800) through ebay, but off a shop in perth for $929, when its worth about $1499.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Ok ladies... I've done my scrooging around and decided on JB for my JVC-KD4306 deck which I picked up for $259.00. (see pic 2 below)

Now I need to know if either a) there is someway to convert Japan TV to my screen, it has the aerials built in, anyway this is really similar to my set up (see pic 1) it's a Mitsubishi factory option by the look of it. Or b) by some sort of adapter. If there is such a thing.

Anyway if anyone could help that would be grand...

Cheers

Pic 1
IMG_0101.jpg

Pic 2
JVCKDDV4306.jpg

G

Unregistered
that first pic is my car :D

fucked if i know how it works though, there is 4075093475405 wires behind it, and nothing is labeled, and no manual, google also turned up nothing.

the head unit is a mitsubishi CD-H77, and the tv is a mitsubishi TV-5760W.
i also have the navigation unit in the back, and a 10 cd stacker, which is linked to the head unit.. but gives me an error on the head unit when i put cds in it :(

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
that first pic is my car :D

fucked if i know how it works though, there is 4075093475405 wires behind it, and nothing is labeled, and no manual, google also turned up nothing.

the head unit is a mitsubishi CD-H77, and the tv is a mitsubishi TV-5760W.
i also have the navigation unit in the back, and a 10 cd stacker, which is linked to the head unit.. but gives me an error on the head unit when i put cds in it :(

LOL You're right, is the TV part separate to the screen unit...? So have you managed to get any tv at all...?

G

Unregistered
yeah it is seperate, and no, not a clue!

i've got a double din jvc deck/screen to go in its place

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
yeah it is seperate, and no, not a clue!

i've got a double din jvc deck/screen to go in its place

Where does the TV component sit? Strange cos It doesn't seem that I have one but I still have the antennas...

If it's too hard though I reckon I'll toss it...

G

Unregistered
no idea.. mine seemed to have 4x 3.5mm jacks out the back that i havent traced, then a power plug, and some big thick cable that runs to the nav unit in the back

G

Unregistered
Mitch, does the screen have an aux-in or does it have to be used with the other mitsi parts?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
my car had a full alpine gear prefitted, found a tv tuner, navigation, video controller and the screen... i just gutted it out... they made a big mess when they put it in, it seems it had a pioneer head deck in it before but was changed back before auctions i guees.... but all my gear works, alpine screen, dvd stacker, cd stacker (tv tuner not installed yet,,, im going to get rid of the alpine antennas on the roof as i have window antennas for tv with booster... so should be ok (had it for 2 years never used...)

I managed to fit the brainbox (controller) for the screen and stackers, inputs and outputs etc with the dvd stacker under the passenger seat, got a 6 stack cd under drivers and probly get the tv tuner in under passengers aswell, the seat just clips the dvd stacker... but how often do you a move a seat? not very often!

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

In the factory Mitsubishi setups, the TV tuner unit is normally fitted under the passenger seat, and the unit cables back into the SatNav unit.
The Japanese TV is NTSC, so it will not pick up any Aus TV (which is PAL).

It seems that most of the MMCS fitted units were either ordered without TV, or the TV module is removed at auction (or possabily after).

The Roof antenna's on my Legnum run down to under the passenger seat carpet, where the TV unit was removed. I know it was removed because the CD stacker power cables were part of the harness to the TV unit and they were under the seat disconnected, which is why my CD didn't work.

Regards
Gavin

Top Bottom