Handbrake dash light

Zerofallen

Crunching Gears
First Name
Michael
Drive
'89 Silvia / '09 GTI Golf
Ok, now this is something interesting... It's a Type S VR4 Legnum.

Whenever I give the car a bit of a boot, the handbrake dash light comes on intermittently.

Had a browse, most people mention engine warning light but not handbrake so thought I'd pose the question.

Any suggestions?

EDIT:

Found something on ClubVR4... Apparently low fluid would account for this. Brake fluid just needs a top up.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sounds like a dicky sensor - I don't think there will be anything involved between the warning light in the dash and the sensor (almost certainly a contact switch) on the hand brake lever itself, so take it (the lever assembly) apart on the weekend and take a look. It could be something simple like a worn or bent (or dirty) contact, but if you find there's no fixable components then just replace the contact switch.

Anyone know if the hand-brake sensor feeds into the ECU for some reason?

EDIT: Just read your update - good to know the sensor works on fluid pressure, in that case it's an even easier fix!

G

Unregistered
yep, most likely low fluid... most cars use the handbrake light as a low brake fluid signal i believe.

G

Unregistered
The handbrake itself may lift on hard acceleration if the cable is not tight

G

Unregistered
usual cause, low brake fluid, or old degraded fuild, and rarely a faulty handbrake switch

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
yep, most likely low fluid... most cars use the handbrake light as a low brake fluid signal i believe.
You know how they say you learn something new every day? I recon that's rubbish - its more like fifty things for me!

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
All my christmas' just came at once.

Mind you they were shithouse, but they all arrived just then....

HAHA. Had this problem for a while, never got around to asking. Time to top up my fluid :p

dato1200

Crunching Gears
First Name
dan
Drive
datsun 1200 2001 legnum vr4 type S
i have this proble with the light coming on under full boost doesnt mater what gear im in

kymbo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kym
Drive
98 Galant, S14A 200SX, GC Galant
i had it happen for a while under hard acceleration but it disapeared so i never looked at it. i'm sure my fluids still high though.

i actually learnt about the hand break light being hooked up to the fluid level the hard way.
had it happen on a road trip from adelaide to melb in a pulsar. turns out they also beep as well though. imagine 8 hrs of that annoying beep :S

on this though does anyone know how to tighten the handbreak cable. i've had a quick look at where it attaches in the car but couldn't see anything

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Why do you need to tighten the cable? Can you engage the handbrake with the car stationary? Will it hold the car on a hill? If so, there's nothing wrong with the cable tension. If you want more grip you can replace the brake shoes on the drum.

Don't know if this applies to you, but most people who want to adjust the handbrake on these cars are doing so because they can't slide the tail out using it. This is because the rear wheels are being turned both by the engine and the momentum through the front wheels. If you want to slide the tail out you have to take it out of gear first ;)

kymbo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kym
Drive
98 Galant, S14A 200SX, GC Galant
Nah its not that. when i changed the rear brakes to the RDA rotors for some reason it made the friction point right at the very top and on a steep hill you need to pull it on very hard. so just want to lower it a tad

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
kym, pull out the center console and you should be able wind a nut on the base of the lever

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I have to pull my hand brake lever right up to engage it since I changed to RDA rotors also. So I just wind a nut on the bottom of the lever and it will correct this?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That's odd, mine have been fine... Maybe there's a size difference between the standard slotted and dimpled/slotted/electroplated ones?

Chris: Unless it's already at it's maximum adjustment, yes :)

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Had this start happening a few days ago, glad it's nothing significant engine wise atleast!

Top Bottom