Zaino14

Insta: @vr4lLegOfHam
First Name
Zain
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR4 Type S Manual
My handbrake is currently just there for show. There is tension in it, however it only does the slightest bit of stopping on a flat surface, don't even worry if it's on a small incline.

Is improving this a simple as replacing the shoes on the rear drums? Or is it more of a adjusting the parking brake cable? Literally something I've never look at before so I don't have the slighest idea where to start.

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
Mine needed the cable adjusted recently for its WOF and I was surprised that the adjustment is inside the car and done in minutes, just needs the pockets in the centre console removed and it's right there. If you're lucky that will be all it needs.

Zaino14

Insta: @vr4lLegOfHam
First Name
Zain
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR4 Type S Manual
Mine needed the cable adjusted recently for its WOF and I was surprised that the adjustment is inside the car and done in minutes, just needs the pockets in the centre console removed and it's right there. If you're lucky that will be all it needs.

Might give that a go this weekend before I go buying anything.

That being said new set of shoes for both side are only about $45. Does anyone know if the Magna shoes are a fit for ours?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
There is an adjustment dial under the rear rotor. You're not supposed to adjust inside the car

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
There is an adjustment dial under the rear rotor. You're not supposed to adjust inside the car

Pretzil is right. Tightening the cable will only lead to the cable stretching as tightening the cable but not adjusting the shoes just means your pulling harder on ineffective brakes.
Theres a rubber grommet in the face of the disc which you can acess the shoe adjustment. Adjust it as tight as you can without it dragging.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
From AWD Magna workshop manual (just cos pretty much what the Japanese manual states and its in English)

Just doing the inside adjustment alone will stretch the cable, combination of the adjustment in the hub as well as the handbrake lever adjustment.

handbrake.png

Toodles

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Todd
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
1997 Legnum VR-4
Here’s what they are talking about. From memory you wind it down to tighten it.

CA160EE8-AE00-4C9A-8216-D180E782BB5B.jpeg
2BB2246B-1013-491D-A860-989123C10A89.jpeg

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
OK I stand corrected, however since mine is automatic the only time the handbrake is ever applied is when the WOF inspector checks it so twice per year for a few seconds, I doubt the cable will stretch much and it needed only a very small adjustment to pass inspection.

Top Bottom