Hank Scorpio aka Lachlan // Perth - WA

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Hey guys! My name's Lachlan, 19 and I live in Perth. I don't have a VR-4 though, I drive a Black 1998 Nissan Skyline R34 GT-T. I have always liked VR-4's though (especially Legnums but Galants are very cool too) and even tried to buy one but in the small window I had to buy my latest car (about a month before I went back to uni and after that I would probably had not have been approved for a loan) I could not find one that I really liked (I especially wanted a Series 2 Type-S in Trigger Mauve).

Anyway I'm a regular visitor to the ozvr4 forums so I thought I may aswell join up so I can see pics and stuff and join in the odd conversation. I hope you don't mind having a Skyline owner on board!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Well, actually, we DO mind having a Skyline owner on the forum !!

BURN THE HEATHEN !!!!

Nah, just kidding.

Great nickname I must say !

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Welcome along Lachlan. I think you'll find at a few of us have moved from the Skyline to the VR4 so when your ready to get your very own you'll be in good company.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Love the name

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Those with motoring elegance and taste, end up driving VR4's :p Even those who have Nissans!

Welcome on board man.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Thanks for the welcome guys!

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Welcome Hank!

Any progress with your Globex company battle to US gov't? Also, I've requested Dallas Cowboys not Denver Broncos man!!!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Welcome Hank!

Any progress with your Globex company battle to US gov't? Also, I've requested Dallas Cowboys not Denver Broncos man!!!

Last time I heard he had captured the East Coast of the USA ... & was firing a missile at France... coz "nobody ever says Italy"

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Hey Lachlan, any chance you can takea break from attempting world domination to post a pic of your ride?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I know exactly how you feel, i was looking for a late s1 white manual legnum and needed to find one while i was on uni hols so i could get the loan approved, fortunately i did but at least you ended up with a good car anyway. I am a fan of the 34gtt, have a mate with one and boy do they pull you back in the seat. Well they do when your a passenger anyway, never actually driven it.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
King_panther have you tried the Hammock Hut? That's on third. There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. Hell just try the Hammock Complex on third, you know in the Hammock District?

As for some pics, here ya go. Very stock at the moment but as soon as I have some more money that will all change!

22042009065.jpg

27022009040.jpg

21042009056.jpg

21042009055.jpg

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Do you feel like measuring the distance between the centres of the mounting holes on the brakes? If they are exactly 130mm a few people will be interested. (all prefacelift owners)

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
I think I'll be able to help you guys out there. I'll do it when I give the car it's 5,000km service sometime this week/weekend.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Nice, clean Skyline Hank.

Any idea how the GT-T would go against the VR-4 in the straights and corners, assuming stock for stock?

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Unfortunately its not as clean as it looks (people who park next to me suck!) as does black paint for hiding the smallest of scratches.

Well I have driven a Legnum so I should be able to give you a reasonable idea.

I would assume the 34 would have it in the straight line, both making 206kw but the Coupe you would think has less weight to lug around with the body and the RWD drivetrain. The Skyline goes 0-100 in I think 6.5secs, don't quote me on that though.

As for corners I'm not sure. The Leggy obviously has AWD and AYC which should help it out. My 34 has also done a few kms so its suspension isn't in the greatest shape of its life and stock it looks like it sits up a bit high (3rd on the to-do list though!) so the Legnum might have it there but I'm not 100% sure. If by corners you mean sideways well thats a whole nother story... :p

G

Unregistered
Very nice car Lachlan, I've always been fond of the R34, they have such road presence.

Any idea how the GT-T would go against the VR-4 in the straights and corners, assuming stock for stock?

A mate of mine has an R33 and we talked about this before and believe it will be a pretty good battle between them (however we are comparing my manual, type-v galant). They have similar weight, similar dimensions and similar power. The biggest differences is the height (vr4 ~60mm taller), wheelbase (skyline ~85mm longer) and of course the I-6 vs V6.

I'm looking forward to the day when we make it to the drag strip/track. :D

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I suspect it will be a close run thing between a stock R34 GT-T and stock Galant, assuming both are manual.

I had a quick check of their specs and it's as follows:

1) R34 GT-T

206kW
343nM
1410kg

2) Galant VR-4
206kW
367nM
1480kg (Manual Type V - well, that's my car's listed weight on the shipping paper work).

We can see that the Skyline has a slight weight advantage and the Galant has a slight torque advantage.

We also know that the Galant's AWD launch is an advantage with launching and running down the strip.

If the GT-T runs 0-100 in around 6.5 seconds, then it will be neck and neck with the manual Galant (which I understand can do low 6's with a good launch).

The corners duelling would be interesting. In general, AWD cars are easier to drive at the limit and when blasting through the corners, particularly when the conditions are wet or less than ideal, or if the driver's skill is not top notch.

Hank, having come from an S15, I do agree with you that there's more tail out fun to be had in the GT-T ;)

Esemte, I'm not sure the R33 GTS-T would get close. They only make 187kW compared to the 206kW of the GT-T.

The main irk for me with the Galants / Legnums is that unlike the Nissans, you can't get big power as cheaply, easily or reliably through mods.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Also must remember that the "206kw" power figure these two cars are rated at is never confirmned, it is just what the hand shake agreement the Jap car makers had with the Jap govt, allows them to make. So that is a thought when comparing power? Either way i think the R34 rolling start would have the VR-4 but standing start the VR-4's AWD launch would make for a few 1/10th's

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
The 34 looks great! Love it..

It's the exact looking model I wanted, that front bar with those wheels and black with a sunroof haha..

When I finally got my loan approved and stepped out to buy a car, it was a White and a Black R34 looking exactly like that, and the Galant I have now.. I ended up with the Galant as you can see :)

Good luck with the liner dude, love it!

Top Bottom