Has anyone ever driven or owned a Mazda MPS6?

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
driven or owned a Mazada 6 MPS?

Reason I ask is that a former associate of mine took me for a spin, I must say that I thought the car performed and handled quite well - exahust note also has a good crack to it. Apparently produces 200kW or so from its turbo-charged 2.3L, I4 powerplant.

I haven't noticed any overtly modified versions of these cars - wouldn't mind seeing some data if there are. Q

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I raced one of them from a set of lights up to 115kmh coming on to the motorway. It was at Takanini heading south if you know the one Ryan. I pulled out to a car length lead on him almost immediately (probably because I held it in drive with the revs at 2000 and my left foot on the brake. After that we stayed about the same distance apart, so they are about the same as a stock VR-4.

I do like the shape of the 6 wagons, but mazda don't seem to want to make the MPS in wagon form, and they are only a 4 cylinder! I'd prefer a 6.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
The 3 MPS is better imho. Feels like a go kart, even as a FWD car it's a ball tearer with bugger all torque steer and traction isn't really a problem either. Mind you I come from a history of higher powered FWD cars, so I'm used to launching them better than an AWD or RWD car.

If it was someone from a RWD background...they'd hate it for sure.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Great, it sounds alright then... I have also driven FWD drives most of my driving life. The 3 sounds like a good car.

I agree with you though Brad, a 6 cylinder sounds a lot better than 4.

sickvr4

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
a bloke i know owns a mazda 3 MPS. and they are a go kart. i asked him why he didn't get the mazda 6 mps and he said cos the 3 is quicker. i'd never buy a brand new car though, unless i win powerball or something :D

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Yeah the 3 is lighter, same engine as the 6 but in a lighter car. I've not driven the 6mps, but been a passenger in both (driven a 3mps too) and the 3 felt more nimble.

Top Bottom