HDi Boost Controller and Gauge fitment

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Hi Guys, I had a HDi boost controller fitted on saturday by Damo at MEEK - This is because I hate getting under the dash and Im bone lazy...

Set the boost level on the way home on the M2, very easy to do.

However, there are two issues with the unit.

1. The unit is supposed to have the red wire permanently wired to the battery, and the blue wire connected to ignition or the ECU power.
I had read that the VR4 guys were having their batterys go flat if left for two weeks or so, when wired like this.
So I got Damo to wire both to the ECU ignition power.
The unit works when connected this way, but beeps loudly when you swith the ignition on. Not nice!

2. The gauge display is bright, I mean to bright for dark streets at night bright.
So a dimmer is needed but there is none in the standard setup.

The following day, I measured the battery current draw from the red wire, 95mA. This will get the battery down as described.
I also discovered if the two wires (red/blue) are connected "almost" simultaneously, you dont get the beep.
Then I started experimenting with a variable resistor in the blue wire to limit the voltage and thus dimm the display.

That worked, a 200 ohm potentiometer worked well there.
Then I added a 470uF capacitor from the potentiometer out to ground, thus creating a switch-on delay for the blue wire.
This worked too. Then I refined the setup a bit with a fixed 100 ohm resistor in series with the 200 ohm potentiometer. The capacitor is connected after the 100 ohm resistor, giving a fixed switch-on delay, the pot then does the dimming.
So there is a simple fix with cheap parts from J-Car.
I will buy some better parts and a little box to fit them in tomorrow and have the dimmer box in the glove box.

After I worked all this out, I read on the gauge document that there is some dimmer cable you can buy!
But I dont know if that fixex the battery drain and/or switch-on beep issue.

edit_1:
It appears the power feed to the solenoid is taken from the blue wire.
This causes the voltage to colapse when the solenoid is energised if the resistors are fitted.
The next move will be to open the wiring loom and tap the solenoid red wire to the main power feed red wire.
Hopefully this will fix the problem while keeping the dimmer and switch-on delay still working. Later...

Gary31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
96 Legnum V-r4
Hmm, i'n thinking about getting the same unit, but i wont mind the battery drain as its unlikely that i wont run the car for two weeks.

BTW how much does the dimmer cable cost?

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
I have not priced the dimmer cable or checked its availability.
At this stage I will proceed with the modifications as outlined above.

I like the controller and love the gauge, just need to sort the issues as I see them.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
hmm was looking at those units myself, but dont want my battery being drained. Maybe you should make a few of these devices Dave :)

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
I have one of these sitting at home waiting to be installed..now I think I need to get the cable that dims the light as well as see how to avoid this problem of letting my battery get drained...

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Didn't Jono have a HDi boost controller fitted to his Legnum? I don't remember him having dramas with it?

JediRuss

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Russ
Drive
'98 Legnum
'98 Toyota MR2 Turbo
I have this HDi Boost Controller and Gauge on mine.

Absolutely agree that it is way to bright when driving at night. I drove back from work a few weeks ago....700kms. And I had to put a hat over the gauge and a scrap piece of paper of the controller unit to block out the light. So I like the idea of a dimmer for it

As I am away for weeks at a time I tell you that my battery isn't drained by the unit. I will go out and have a look later, but I am fairly sure that mine is not wired directly to the battery. It also does not beep when I start up.

The only issue I have with the unit is that it doesn't allow me to chose a boost level and set it. It seems to be variable only in the amount the solenoid opens. So on colder days or at nights it boosts higher and can hit cut out. I am constantly backing it off or winding it up a touch.

Overall though, I like the unit. I like that the gauge reads in PSi as well as Bar. I have always used PSI for boost and it was hard to find a nice gauge that read in those units.

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Thinking a bit further on this -

if the red wire was connected to the switched accessories power, ie radio for example, and the blue wire was connected to switched ignition, ie ECU power, then that would eliminate the beep and battery drain I think.

To get a dimmer function, the controller would have to be wired to the power sources directly (as described above), not via a loop in and out of the gauge. (see the standard wiring diagram)
The gauge will need the orange signal wire, green 0V wire and red and blue power wires as described above.
The blue wire would need the 200 ohm potentiometer in series with it to the gauge.

Maybe I will try setting it all up like this, with the dimmer pot on the A pillar next to the gauge.
Unfortunately, J-car did not have any 200 ohm potentiometers, so will have to try Farnell or possibly Dick Smith.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
How come you guys are having these sort of issues such as battery drainage.

I have this unit with the gauge as well for the past 2yrs and I never had any problems with battery drainage (except when I have the Jap Batt).

Dave, connect the red wire to accesories and blue to ignition as this is what mine was wired up. Never had issues.

I do agree with the gauge being to bright but it doesn't bother me at all. Why bother going all the mess while you can just cut a clip-on lens that has a tint. :D

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
yep gorgath, your way is the best way.

edit: this bit removed, as I have since discovered a bit more info on what the controller is doing and why.

I am convinced that the HDi is an excellent unit for the VR4 tiptronic (to 15psi) and good for the manual cars to 17-19psi.

3M-TA3

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Daniel
Drive
BLACK MANUAL '97 LEGNUM
i have had this fitted for a while now, first fitment had the system beeeeeeeping on start up. had to turn engine off leaving auxilaries on and start it again and it was fine, hassel but fine. took it else where when had other mods done and asked them to check it out. they did and now it is sweet. my car is manual and i can only get it to 13.xx psi before i hit boost cut or fuel cut, not sure which one. any advice or info?

Top Bottom