Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 COTY
2022 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
1999 Honda Civic EX
It appears I have a small head gasket leak. Every morning on start up I have white smoke that lasts about 5 minutes and then nothing. Only happens after the car sits for a few hours. I bought Blue Devil pour and go to see if it will fix it. Any thoughts before I attempt this?

Mattalot

Sparkly Oil
First Name
Matt
Drive
2006 Subaru Liberty Spec.B Manual

1998 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 Auto

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual (Aus Spec)

2021 Daihatsu Copen GR Manual
It appears I have a small head gasket leak. Every morning on start up I have white smoke that lasts about 5 minutes and then nothing. Only happens after the car sits for a few hours. I bought Blue Devil pour and go to see if it will fix it. Any thoughts before I attempt this?
best bet is to do a headgasket test.
or make sure the coolant lines in your tb aren't leaking.
headgasket isn't a common thing on these but if it is. don't use those magic bottles.
all they do is fck up your coolant system.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
Never use shit like that.
I returned it. I did a few more tests and found it to be burning oil not coolant. Flushed the system and went with a different type of oil. My Legnum does not like Mobil 1. Switched to STP SYN and made a world of a difference in driving and no more smoke. :)

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
I probably don't need to say this, but as these cars are turbo-charged you must use a fully synthetic oil or damage happens to the turbos. I'm not sure what Mobil 1 is but STP SYN does sound like it may be fully synthetic with that name. Do check anyway! If it has had mineral oil or a mineral / synthetic blend in it in the past it would be prudent to do several oil changes in quick succession to be sure all traces of non-synthetic have been removed.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
I probably don't need to say this, but as these cars are turbo-charged you must use a fully synthetic oil or damage happens to the turbos. I'm not sure what Mobil 1 is but STP SYN does sound like it may be fully synthetic with that name. Do check anyway! If it has had mineral oil or a mineral / synthetic blend in it in the past it would be prudent to do several oil changes in quick succession to be sure all traces of non-synthetic have been removed.
I agree, I wouldn't put anything put synthetic in my cars. Mobil 1 is a full synthetic, very popular in the US. She appears to have been sitting for awhile. So far I have only put 3000km on her.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Mobil1 isn't a specific oil anymore, it's a 'range' of all full synth. What was the actual grade?

It should have been fine. I think there might be a bit of placebo going on or the oil was sitting unsealed for a really long time.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
I thought I had a head gasket leak but turned out to be the Mobil 1 causing smoke. Maybe bad oil.🤷‍♂️ The car seems to have sitting for over 5 years so maybe it is just working old oil and moisture out. I switched over to the STP and its been a great improvement. According to the manual I am to use 5w30 or 10w30

5W30-200x311.png
IMG_20220622_164058310_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220622_164334675.jpg

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Wait you never changed the oil after buying it from Japan? dude...

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
Wait you never changed the oil after buying it from Japan? dude...
First thing I did when I got it, used the Mobil 1. Just did the second with STP after 3000km

Top Bottom