Heart skipped a beat

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Driving along yesterday and decided to give my car a little squirt all of a sudden I get a very loud bang from under the bonnet and tons of smoke out the rear. First thought was gearbox but that wouldnt account for the smoke, second was a turbo which would, then wondered why, the engine was still running but surging before it stopped altogether. Pulled over and lifted the bonnet but couldnt see anything out of the ordinary which really had me worried. All I could think was something internal had let go.

Went back and tried to start the car again and noticed the intake tube (the one with the 90 degree bend) had come off the manifold. Put it back in place and car started fine but when reved, the pressure blew it off again. Managed to get to mates workshop and found the seal inside the intake tube was kinked and it appears it had been that way for some time. This may account for my poor fuel economy and sucking sound I was hearing.

Maybe something others may want to check before the same happens.

All I can say is the backfire scared the living F*****G shit out of me.

Gary

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
yes ive done this before. when changing the turbo on my silvia. the IC pipe off the turbo wasnt done up tightly enough. gave the car a boost and BANG. sounded like something exploded/snapped. then the car went into limp mode and sounded like a rotor.

but yeah at least u found ur prob. the car would have been running hell rich if there was a slight leak.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I blew an intercooler pipe once, car kept stalling itself and blasting out smoke :(

Dawso would remember this phone call hahah.. oh dear

G

Unregistered
The first time this happens is always a bit scary

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The first time this happens is always a bit scary

Haha sure is! Years ago it happened to me in my first Silvia. Pitch black, country road at 10pm. On the way to watch a staged explosion on the set of Salem's Lot, an American telemovie, in Creswick. Weird night, come to think of it. Knowing nothing about cars, I was convinced I had blown my turbo. Limped the car back home at 2,000 rpm in 2nd (refused to rev higher) and used a quarter of a tank of fuel in 5kms!

Fully

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
99 Galant VR4
Yep that would do it :p
Worst thing I have seen is when the turbo rover was running like crap, pulled into the pits to find a soft pipe turned inside out....till this day I still have no idea how it was possable!

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
It happened to me as well in the middle of peak our. Gave it a hit and BAAM engine cut out and smoke everywhere.
I thought it was all over.
After I'd managed to pull up onto the kerb and pop the bonnet, I saw one of the intercooler hoses had come off. I felt so relieved.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Ha! seems most of us have been through this little heart-stopper.

Just make sure when you put it all back together, that the rubber seal goes inside the plastic tubing that slides onto the plenum. Mine was on the outside... who ever played with it b4 me was obviously a git.

G

Unregistered
hmmm im amazed you lot could even move with the pipe off! i struggled to get the car to the side of the road when it happened to me!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
On my purple VR-4 with a MAP sensor it behaves quite differently. After we installed the longer gear ratios into it the pipe going into the throttle body wasn't quite as tight as it could have been. It came off partially and would only leak air when making boost. The car however drove perfectly fine and I drove about 600km with it like that from Palmerston North to Whakatane before I looked at it. The entire way the car felt down on power, but probably only down to about stock power. The air escaping from the pipe made an awesome sound though :D

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Well lucky you Brad, I seriously thought "yup, that's it, the engine is toast" it looked/sounded/felt that bad.

I was ecstatic as a pig in shit when I found it was nothing of the sort thought :D

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
lol ask christian about the time i waited 2 or 3 hours at a servo that i limped to only to find the reason the car wasnt moving more htan a few meters without conking out was cause id done the same thing hahaha

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
"yup, that's it, the engine is toast" it looked/sounded/felt that bad.

I was ecstatic as a pig in shit when I found it was nothing of the sort thought :D

Thats exactly what I thought. I read on here day in day out where some unlucky person has had a major mecahanical let go and I thought I was now one of them. Thank god I wasnt.

Gary

Top Bottom