QLD Hello VR4'ers

HYBREE

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Turei
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
Hey everyone, I bought my Legnum about 6-7 months ago from Tim in Scarborough, QLD & I love it.
Im not home a lot and it only gets driven about once every 5 weeks, Im going to start modding it very slowly but its already got the basics covered.

Intercooler, 3" exhaust, boost controller and coil overs (too soft for my liking). Im in the process of looking for a walbro and going to source a flashed chip from NZ to get rid of that horrible boost cut.

Well anyway heres my new wagon :)

IMG_5577.JPG
IMG_5579.JPG

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Welcome.
How much boost are you planning to run with the flashed chip? How much are the flashed chips?
I know most people will recommend looking for a proper tune from @TME_Steve, but it could be over a year before he is back in qld.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome to the forum, Turei.

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 15.7w

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Oils and Fluids
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info
- Posting photos, especially in the Classifieds

Posting new threads is restricted by default, for full access become a Premium Member:
- Upgrade to Premium Membership benefits

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

HYBREE

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Turei
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
The boost controller in the car has about 5 settings, Im not sure what unit they're measuring either, but I drive around with it set at the middle reading of 128 (might be 138 I can't remember because I haven't driven it in since November). I can only guess that its boosting at about 10-12psi. But on the highest setting (Im guessing 14psi) its launches hard then cuts out hard. Ive read that boost cut usually occurs around 14psi and upgrading the fuel pump and a flash can help with boost cut and speed limiting.

The flashed chip I was looking at when I first got the car I can't find now, but I think it was on tradme.co.nz and was going for about $170ish. It might even have been on eBay but because it was from NZ I'm thinking it was more likely trademe.

Id like to run about 14-15psi but Im going to need to sort the soft coil overs out first.

HYBREE

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Turei
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
Thanks mookers. I had a read through the rules, good thread with good stuff to know and look out for. Got me nervous though, making me think 'Does mine make that squeaky sound when spinning the wheel?'
Im home on friday and going to have a decent look over it with this new found info

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Step 1: Get a boost gauge... Especially if removing boost cut, it's there for a reason.
Just remember that boost level is somewhat an arbitrary number when it comes to the performance of cars, different turbos flow the same pressure in different ways.
I've spoken to people who have said stuff like "I wanna run 18psi, my mate with a supra reckons that's what I need".

HYBREE

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Turei
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
Righto, boost gauge it is. My old man had an Evo II RS and that was boosting at 20psi and thats where the boost bug hit. That car was nasty on your back and neck so I don't want anything that crazy (I do take my kids with me sometimes), but I do want a bit more than what its got. I think the highest setting on the controller would be fine, just need to find out what it is

HYBREE

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Turei
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
BTW what does TME_Steve charge for his tune? Im barely home so I can wait a year.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
If you are desperate i do have a spare MINES ECU that probably has a raised boost cut level, I never had it in a car myself so I'm not sure but if you want to try it you can have it for $50

Top Bottom