help smoke from exhaust on off.

G

Unregistered
Hi Guys.
Thought would ask your opinions on something that popped up yesterday.
Started to see a bit of fresh sky blue smoke comming from the exhaust.
My oil catch can had a bit in it but no full so dont think its blow back but may be.
When I drive the car very little smoke appears and then I pull up at the lights and then after a few seconds the smoke cloud builds.
I can rev the motor a bit and it seems to not get bigger with the revs and I did have a few moments yesterday where practically was no sign of smoke for hours.
Had one person say to me it could be a turbo but mine are still only 87K old and only been running higher boost for the last 11K.
I change the oil every 4-5K kms but the last oil change I did put in a semi syntheticv but the first 1500kms on the semi synth oil was perfect and quiet motor.
Is it a chance a gasket is leaking somewhere as I am pretty sure its not the motor as I can sit in the garage and rev it heaps and still only a tiny bit pops out from I guess left overs in the system but if it was the motor it should be getting worse with revs but this just gets a cloud on blow back or something like that.
Advice is much appreciated as in the next day or so I might pull the turbos off to see how the shafts feel and see if there is any other oil leaks around the turbo's or manifolds.

G

Unregistered
Im gunna guess the oil seal on the rear turbo is gone, as they are the most common ones to go

G

Unregistered
Any quick fix if it is a rear seal.
Also does it sound like a seal in the turbo?
Also what about sticking a stop smoke additive for now and in a 2-3 months get 2 new ball bearing turbos and replace all gaskets in the motor so freshen the motor up????

G

Unregistered
Hey guys.
A couple of weeks have past and we have fixed the smoke problem so this is a tip for all for the future.
We were installing the brembos the other day and one of the guys offered to clean the dirty filter on my oil catch can as it was saturated in oil.
Yes the crank pressure had built up so much that as the rear seal on the turbo is not 100% it had started to build so much pressure it would spit out oil and cause the huge clouds of smoke at the traffic lights and on warm up.
Have cleaned and run better and bigger hoses to the oil catch can and car is running smoother and no signs of smoke.
Huge relief after a couple of weeks of sittting at the lights and the car next to me seeing this huge cloud comming out of nowhere.
So keep the breather on the oil catch can clean and also the hoses to the catch can.

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
I have this problem when I let the car warm up or it sits there for a long time. Mind you I dont have a cloud of smoke as if I were doing a burn out and I dont have an oil catch can either.

Am I looking at a blown turbo seal?

G

Unregistered
I would say this.
take the intercooler pipes off.
If there is oil I would say yes you do if its dry then probably something else.
But it may pay to clean the breather hoses of the motor as you may be getting a bit too much crank pressure and then on a factory set up it will let some oil into the exhaust and this could be your smoke.
Also check for oil in all 6 spark plugs as you may just have a small leak there as I also did and that was fixed super fast with some gasket sealant for $2.5.

Top Bottom