IMG-4059.JPG
IMG-4060.JPG
9AF794A0-C532-4574-AB2D-21D4B98CB280 (1).jpeg
629222B6-3D59-4B52-8D58-5CB49A879D6B.jpeg
IMG-4061.JPG
IMG-4069.JPG
IMG-4074.JPG
776725F4-6B07-4AF9-8F6E-4965B707FE58.png
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I 'm from Hamilton NZ. My Galant is a 1999 VR4. Driven by me and my son. Its a brand new import into NZ having been imported by Andrew Simms Mitsubishi in Auckand in 1999. Its had 5 owners before me and a few private regos. Unmolested carefully used car. I got it in 2018 from a dealer in Auckland. It had done 257000kms when I got it and now its sitting at 282,000kms. Owner's manuals and service history all on record. Spotless paint and interior. After market DTM 19" wheels running Yokohamas. ( NOT FOR SALE :) )

776725F4-6B07-4AF9-8F6E-4965B707FE58.png

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
Huntington, you say. Maybe we'll see each other sometime around town. There was, maybe still is, a guy with an 8G Galant VR4 in the end of Mitcham Ave in Forest Lake who I bought a couple of parts from and I quite often saw a white Legnum VR4 on Dominion road, I think the guy had family there or something.
Once they were quite common here but don't seem to see so many recently so I guess they've all gone to wreckers somewhere.
It's good that yours is reasonably original as most of what is left around seems to have been quite badly molested, usually not in a good way.
My Legnum is original except for the alarm I fitted to it, unfortunately it looks rather shabby as the clear coat has gone rather weird and it is prohibitively expensive to get it fixed.

Neomal

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Neomal
Drive
1999 Galant VR4
Huntington, you say. Maybe we'll see each other sometime around town. There was, maybe still is, a guy with an 8G Galant VR4 in the end of Mitcham Ave in Forest Lake who I bought a couple of parts from and I quite often saw a white Legnum VR4 on Dominion road, I think the guy had family there or something.
Once they were quite common here but don't seem to see so many recently so I guess they've all gone to wreckers somewhere.
It's good that yours is reasonably original as most of what is left around seems to have been quite badly molested, usually not in a good way.
My Legnum is original except for the alarm I fitted to it, unfortunately it looks rather shabby as the clear coat has gone rather weird and it is prohibitively expensive to get it fixed.

Yes I have not seen very many VR4 Galants and Legnums in and around Hamilton, I think I may have seen yours though at the Gordonton Road Wairere drive round about a few weeks ago. Once there was a car trailing me down Wairere Drive rather close and I was wondering what was going on. Then I stopped at the signals at Powells Road and this car pulled up along side and the driver gestured me to roll down the window. I was expecting an earful for something I may have done. When I rolled down the window the driver complimented me for the condition the car was in and said she had been doing a video trailing close behind me to be shown to her partner who I was told was a VR4 fan.:) . It would be nice to meet up sometime and may be organise a meet up of NZ VR4 owners.. :)

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
Probably wasn't me, the last time I went through that intersection I think would have been last year, but then the way time flies these days it could easily seem like just a few weeks!
I'm not sure about a meet-up as I'd probably feel rather uneasy. I'm not a car enthusiast like many of the owners on this forum, I'm totally not into modifications and I have no mechanical workshop facilities so I'm totally dependent on the very few mechanics who are trustworthy when something needs to be done. My field is Electronics, my workshop is full of tools and equipment for that instead.
I just like my Legnum as a very comfortable and enjoyable means of getting where I need to go, the three Mitsi's I've had are better than anything else I've driven except perhaps for the Fiats which were rather ahead of their time for comfort and performance.
Do you get annoyed by the ever increasing areas of our city which have been reduced to 40 km/h or 30 km/h, supposedly in the interest of 'safety'? Sometimes I think the people who make these rules don't actually drive cars!

Neomal

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Neomal
Drive
1999 Galant VR4
Probably wasn't me, the last time I went through that intersection I think would have been last year, but then the way time flies these days it could easily seem like just a few weeks!
I'm not sure about a meet-up as I'd probably feel rather uneasy. I'm not a car enthusiast like many of the owners on this forum, I'm totally not into modifications and I have no mechanical workshop facilities so I'm totally dependent on the very few mechanics who are trustworthy when something needs to be done. My field is Electronics, my workshop is full of tools and equipment for that instead.
I just like my Legnum as a very comfortable and enjoyable means of getting where I need to go, the three Mitsi's I've had are better than anything else I've driven except perhaps for the Fiats which were rather ahead of their time for comfort and performance.
Do you get annoyed by the ever increasing areas of our city which have been reduced to 40 km/h or 30 km/h, supposedly in the interest of 'safety'? Sometimes I think the people who make these rules don't actually drive cars!

I am referred to as a car enthusiast and a "petrolhead" by many. Wouldn't blame them. I have 6 vehicles at the moment which includes a 1961 classic Mini. I too am not into heavy mods. Prefer to have them stock as much as possible. My field is law. Nevertheless I have a fair mechanical knowledge built up over the years through experiencing issues in the cars that were in the family. No workshop at home but I would say I have tools and some equipment for a hobby workshop at home.I too rely on mates who are professional mechanics who attend to any issues.

Not so much the speed limit reduction BUT those stupid humps that are springing up all over the roads do irritate the heck out of me each time I have to go over them. Wonder whose stupid idea the humps were as to begin with there was no major issue with people getting knocked down or cars crashing alarmingly on roads in residential areas.

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
Oh yes, those humps. My housemate tore the flexible coupling on the exhaust on my present Legnum by going too fast over one of those in Pukeko Street when she borrowed it; it's not the going up that hurts, it's the coming down the other side that does the damage.
Another of my pet hates is the entrances to driveways where the front wheels go down into the gutter and the front fairing scrapes on the road / footpath. Mine is missing the tow hook cover, there's absolutely no point in replacing it as it would get torn off again the first the the car was used. I often have to enter or leave driveways at an angle to reduce the chance of contact and go extremely slowly. I can't believe that some folks want to lower these cars, they obviously don't live here!
I think there are far more smashes and injuries caused by drivers who don't stop at compulsory stops and those who continue to drive through intersections when the light has already gone red against them than ever happened in those areas which are now designated as 'safer speed areas'.
There's one 'stop' near me which is a 'stop' not a 'give way' for a very good reason and I've seen many drivers go straight through that one including a bus just a few days ago, I'm amazed no-one has been killed there to my knowledge yet; you just can't see an oncoming vehicle which is only a few metres away due to the undulation of the road.
Regarding Minis, a guy I used to work with was into building racing Mini motors, Bruce Melville was his name.

Top Bottom