Hi from melb

G

Unregistered
hi guys im new here ive been thinking about getting a galant vr4 for some time now. My first car was an FTO and then i imported a GTO was a big headache but in the end was heaps of fun. I sold that and now have a turbo saab that ive boosted a bit not much but still gives some people a shock. Ive since got together some more money and was wondering how many people have owned both a gto and galant? what sort of power are the galants capable of is it as simple as some more boost? also what sort of power can the auto's take? i liked the fto's auto and im guessing its the same, im sick of driving manuals with heavy clutches so a decent auto is the only way. Any advice would be great.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The auto in them is in the same family as the FTO, a 5 speed though, most FTO's (prefacelift) are 4 speeds.

They are quick cars and are capable of handling a big increase of mid range power, not too much at the top end though because the turbos are too small.

G

Unregistered
I liked the idea of TT because of the torque so the idea of mid range power is good. I find big singles annoying to drive due to the lag.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
These things don't have any lag! they accelerate quickly from about 2500rpm, and with a few mods they build boost below 2000rpm.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hey Phil, welcome to the forums :) My brother (who's name is also Phil) happens to have a GTO, so once I get my car and its all running we should be able to do some (fun) comparisons of the two. Don't expect that to be for a month or two, though, so in the mean-time hopefully Valmes will notice this and chime in with his 2c as he has quite a bit of experience with both cars :)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
what sort of power can the auto's take? i liked the fto's auto and im guessing its the same, im sick of driving manuals with heavy clutches so a decent auto is the only way. Any advice would be great.

G'Day Phill. First off, welcome to the site. You seem to have the mitsy bug so looks like you might just be here for a while!

Secondly, I got an auto for exactly the same reason you stated above and I've got say its the best slush box I've ever had the pleasure of driving. So far all I've done is up the boost and install some gauges, but already the improvement is amazing.

Seeing as you in Melbourne, you should come down to one of the wash meets in the new year and check em out for real. Some one will take you for a spin no sweat.

G

Unregistered
That sounds like the best option I would probably start seriously looking in jan-feb anyways. How hard are the 'super' versions to source? and do they fetch a much higher premium. Is 13k a good budget for an auto vr4 type v?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The super's aren't impossible to find, you might be waiting a month or two for one to pop up though. The price is governed by a few things, age, mileage, transmission, sunroof and interior (leather, recaro's, normal)

What options do you really want the most? Some options such as the Recaro's are rare and are only available on facelift cars, and you will be waiting a while for one with them, and you will need to pay a premium too. Don't even get started on colours... :)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
You should be able to get a standard (standard interior) facelift type s for around 13 - 14k.

Kristian had a nice purple one (with leather) on his site but it has been sold.

G

Unregistered
does the auto type s have less power than the type v? whats the reason for this? Im after as new as possible so facelift is the best option i think.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Regardless of type;

All PFL Autos have 194kw
All PFL Manuals have 206kw
All FL Autos have 206kw
All FL Manuals have 206kw

FL type S has flares on the guards, AYC and the hi vis dash.

Hope this helps :D

G

Unregistered
ok thanks alot for that. Well ill aim for a FL auto and we will go from there im still tossing up between the galant or another FTO I really do want a 5spd auto though and it will be hard to find a 97 FTO that has one. I think the fto does look better but Im finding it hard looking past the TT. I have a feeling the extra power will sway me.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
VR-4's are a lot more car than an FTO, bigger, faster, much more room and they all came with 5 speed auto's

G

Unregistered
do they still handle all right? I know my GTO even though it was fat (1700ishkg) still handled nicely and i could get it it sideways quite easily. Are they rear or front end bias?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
They are about 200kg lighter than a GTO, and their 4wd system is very similar, but of course most models have the AYC rear diff at the back like an evo 4-9. They are very good handling cars, a step above a GTO.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Welcome to the forums Phil! Good to see another Melbournite with the VR-4 bug :) If you want to see the Super VR-4 in the flesh, rock up to the next "wash patrol" we have (normally on a Tuesday night every fortnight or so) and have a peek at mine.

It's not just a coins-in-water-out job, so bring the polish and feel free to perve at the cars :D

G

Unregistered
sounds like fun ill bring beer instead of polish ey? Is it announced in the vic section?

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Hi and welcome Phil. Try to contain the "FTO's are better looking" and you will be fine :D

Top Bottom