Phil
Drive
FTO

Bugz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Trigger Manual Legume.. Couple of Rollas.
Hey Phil welcome to the forums.

Ruby told me you had joined up and showed me your car but I hadn't seen the thread here.
Congrats on the Galant, and the FTO looks tops too. I never looked at FTO's until I went for a spin with Ruby and they are wicked little cars.

Bugz. aka Sam.

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
Hey Phil welcome to the forums.

Ruby told me you had joined up and showed me your car but I hadn't seen the thread here.
Congrats on the Galant, and the FTO looks tops too. I never looked at FTO's until I went for a spin with Ruby and they are wicked little cars.

Bugz. aka Sam.
G'Day Sam,
Ruby mentioned something about her partner owning a Galant.
Thanks and yeah FTO's are pretty fun to drive and also to work on/play with.

This is the one I bough.
Full alloy, great quality and fit and finish. Very happy with it.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/271242470174?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Sent from the fires of Mt Doom
Thanks Mitch,
The link you gave shows a radiator for a 93-98 PF, mine is a 99 FL?

For cooler try the HDi GT2..good cooler for the price.
Thanks Aamir,
I like the PWR kit, but I will have a look at your suggestion too.

G

Unregistered
My understanding is that it will fit. If not, check their other listings, they have a few available.

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
If I'm putting in an oil cooler would that mean I could just use a manual radiator?
As I wouldn't need to use the transmission cooler lines in the bottom tank anyway.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
No, there has been a lot of discussion about this on here, but without the in-radiator trans cooler, the trans fluid won't get up to temperature well enough, and could even get over-cooled on cooler days.
Most people seem to have theirs inline after the radiator, which means that it still gets warmed by the radiator, but then cooled to a safer temperature if its too hot.

G

Unregistered
Message Quinton (VR4WGN) as I believe he is able to still yet the alloy radiator s the guys got in the recent group buy at a very food price.

G

Unregistered
You can always get a manual radiator and run an oil thermostat between the transmission and the aftermarket cooler.

This is what I've done with the factory radiator, just bypassed it altogether. It's really improved cold morning shifting over the both the standard built-in radiator cooler, and the radiator + aftermarket setup. The thermostat is essential though, it stops the ATF going through the cooler until the temps get up.

Helps to get rid of a lot of clutter too as you can ditch all those transmission hard pipes snaking everywhere.

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
You can always get a manual radiator and run an oil thermostat between the transmission and the aftermarket cooler.

This is what I've done with the factory radiator, just bypassed it altogether. It's really improved cold morning shifting over the both the standard built-in radiator cooler, and the radiator + aftermarket setup. The thermostat is essential though, it stops the ATF going through the cooler until the temps get up.

Helps to get rid of a lot of clutter too as you can ditch all those transmission hard pipes snaking everywhere.

Do you have a link to the thermostat?

battery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
b
Drive
a car
I did this a while back on advice, made a bracket and mounted:

thermostat.jpg

Was thinking about putting in a temp sensor to see how well it maintains temp. Is there a way to get the readout from the transmission sensor?

thermostat.jpg

battery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
b
Drive
a car
nice is it just a 0-5V sensor? Is there a chart or something to use as a reference?

G

Unregistered
Yep. There was a little bit of info in the manual, I posted the pages in one of the following posts in that thread. You could also stick your multimeter's temp probe down the dipstick tube and measure at a few points.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
I have ordered just under $3000 of gear.

I still need to find a new auto radiator and transmission oil cooler.
The only Radiator I can find on eBay is...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubis...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bf5a95d8
Is this any good?
The aluminium ones from winner racing, china are all manual.
Any other suggestions?

There are so many coolers on eBay, any tried and tested suggestions?

This is the same one I purchased, direct fit and quality seem pretty good.

Gary

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
I want to go buy all the fluids to do a complete service.
What I can find on the forum...
15L Mitsubishi Diamond Queen ATF SPIII - Transmission/AYC/Power Steering
5L 75W90 GL5 Hypoid - Front diff/Rear diff
Z411 or Z142A oil filter
3 Position/six terminal switch + 5M 5 Core wire - AYC

I already have...
Castrol coolant
Castrol 5W30 Edge Sport oil
Brake Fluid

Can anyone confirm and/or add to the list

G

Unregistered
Looks good.

15L of SP3 is the correct amount for an ATF flush. You will use 12-15L for the flush & top up. Try to save a bit for the AYC too, it will need about 3L to flush the hydraulic system and fill the clutch pack side.

Mitsubishi actually say to used p/s fluid instead of the SP3 for the power steering system, but I've used SP3 with no issues at all on my car. But just grab the Mitsubishi p/s fluid while picking up some SP3. Use 2L for a p/s flush & top up.

Also, you'll only need 2L of the GL-5 for the transfer case & diff. The combined amount is just over 1L, but getting some extra allows you to flush a little through as well.

I've been using Z142A filters.

Have you seen this thread?

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?8897-Oils-Greases-And-Fluids-For-Your-VR4

Top Bottom