HID Xenon headlights, standard equipment?

G

Unregistered
HID Xenon headlights
I have noticed some VR4's have these already installed.
Were they an original factory upgrade?

G

Unregistered
Hmmmm aftermarket

Do you know what kits fit. Is there a kit that requires no choping or moding that fits good?

G

Unregistered
I have purchased HID's from eBay along with 2 other people, and they have all worked perfect and are great for $100-$160 you cant go wrong the seller is: http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZamyl1007 I have 6000k (pure white) as its the brightest, however the 8000k (slightly blue) is also extremly bright.

The phillips ones are $1000+ retail.

As far as defects, HID's are illeagal in cars that did not come with them, do not have an auto levelling feature and light washers

G

Unregistered
yep illegal here in NZ to,

only way you can have hids here is either factory fitted ones,
or aftermarket hid headlight housings that are made to do the job properly and meet the standards,

people just fit hid bulb kits here thou even thou there illegal,
ive never had WOF problems or any trouble with the law.

G

Unregistered

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
The globe goes in the regular light socket, you just need to find somewhere to mount the ballast, that shouldn't be too hard.

Those with them installed, do you have low beam only, how well do they work in a conventional lense(ie non parabolic)?

G

Unregistered
i have only low beams and have no issues in regular headlights. in suburban areas that i drive in i have no need for high beams. however, a mate that lives in the adelaide hills has his dual beams coming this week, so we'll see how bright they are.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I got low beams and hi beams on mine.. works great.. i had to tilt the low beams a bit as on coming cars keep flashing me..

and probably you can imagine their reaction when i flash them back..

mine were just from ebay as well.. 8000k lo/hi..

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Do you just get a hi/lo kit and put it in the standard low beam spot?

What do you then do with the high beam? Or do you get a single globe low kit for each lense(stock high and low) and run it that way?

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
To paraphrase "300"...

"Our Australian Bogong Moths will be so numerous, they will block out the HIDs"

"Then we'll drive in the shade"

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Do you just get a hi/lo kit and put it in the standard low beam spot?

What do you then do with the high beam? Or do you get a single globe low kit for each lense(stock high and low) and run it that way?

I have 2 separate HID kits installed... H7 (lo)& H1 (Hi).. both 35w units.. I wanna try out the 50w units.. I know the 35w units are very bright.. but I feel like testing the 50w for the Hi beam but currently priced around $300+

Extra Info: For unknown reason the bulbs that with the car had these black adaptors.. and was about 5mm thick which the bulb clip was holding on to..

all i did was bent the clip a bit to make sure that it was holding the bulb tight enough..

G

Unregistered
the HID's in my 33 were like that too.. the 'base' of the light bulb was quite thick, but it sat VERY snug under the clip.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
I got low beams and hi beams on mine.. works great.. i had to tilt the low beams a bit as on coming cars keep flashing me..

and probably you can imagine their reaction when i flash them back..

mine were just from ebay as well.. 8000k lo/hi..

Got any pictures of them??

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
unfortunately no.. and also i busted one of the bulbs.. dont know how.. but looks like ill just buy another set of HID kit..

G

Unregistered
i have problem with HID....seems I can't get it focus on the road....no matter how I adjust the headlight.....the lights from HID just seems going everywhere....

So i just stick back to old bulbs....and I think the engine bay looks cleaner no messy wire and ballast....

G

Unregistered
its because the head light mirrors are not designed for hid lights,
they cant dirrect the light properly

G

Unregistered
Well I think I'll just get the Phillips bulbs then as they are still really really good and there is a good range.

Top Bottom