Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Murray
Drive
Holden sv6
Legnum vr4
Hi everyone..
Well been seaching for a wagon for sometime till i remembered about the legnums back in new zealand..
Been caught up with work, family all these years i never took notice about imports here in australia.
I was surrounded by them back home and a mate of mine had a legnum which was a beast.
So now back on track im gonna check one out tomorrow at ssv in oakleigh.
Hope it goes well... if not ill keep on the hunt till i find one. No doubt i will be owning this beast.
Thanks guys for having me here

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome to the forum, Murray. Hope you find a nice ride.

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 15.13e

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info

Posting new threads is restricted by default. For full access you need to be a Premium Member ($15 a year):
- Upgrading your account

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

Muzza

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Murray
Drive
Holden sv6
Legnum vr4
Hi guys,
Well i found the car that i want so i hope someone can help me out here..
Its a 1999 type s sitting on about 95000 ks and it comes with a one year warranty. The car has only been checked in japan.. so i dont know if it has a major service or not.
I know a major service cost more than average ( i called auto tech in bayswater)
So is $12000 ok for this car.

Im new to all this hope you guys can help me out by monday

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
Don't know what things are like in OZ but that sounds way steep to me. I know I'd be doing well if I wanted to sell either of mine to get $NZ3000. Maybe the lower km's justify that price, I don't know.

Muzza

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Murray
Drive
Holden sv6
Legnum vr4
Wish you were here bro would have brought today.. yep miss the imports back home..

rockerpeller

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Will
Drive
TJII Magna VRX
2000 VR4 Galant Type V manual
Imports back home don't cop import fees like they do over here. Prices are steep when compared to any import in NZ. Noticed that the moment I saw a Skyline for sale over here. Back home, you could pick it up for 5k, where as over here you'd be looking at 8K for a shocking one.

andyh3

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Andrew
Drive
Legnum vr4
Buy one off a member here. Better history and they've probably done some/most of the mods you might be after. Wish I had known about this forum before buying haha.

Muzza

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Murray
Drive
Holden sv6
Legnum vr4
No doubt i trust the guys cars on here compared to car salesmen selling me one lol.
But the k's on this car is too tempting lowest one ive seen so far.

Muzza

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Murray
Drive
Holden sv6
Legnum vr4
Well had good advice from nuffnuff..
So i had second one in mind but its over in tassie.
Has anyone know about the leggy over there i think its owned by scotty its a white 99 type s.

Pal109

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Welcome Murray!
I bought mine a year ago for $11,750 with 160,000kms. Had a lot of mods and kids glove treatment all over the car so it was in seriously good condition.
received_10206599215553238.jpeg

I feel that 12,000 is potentially a fair price depending on the car in question. You just have to be able to know and justify what is causing the price to be so high! (Mods, Km's, Condition, servicing, owner habits, etc)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hi guys,
Well i found the car that i want so i hope someone can help me out here..
Its a 1999 type s sitting on about 95000 ks and it comes with a one year warranty. The car has only been checked in japan.. so i dont know if it has a major service or not.
I know a major service cost more than average ( i called auto tech in bayswater)
So is $12000 ok for this car.

Hey, sorry for late reply, we need more details.
But since you named SSV, I assume it is this car:
http://www.southernspecialvehicles.com.au/2016/02/18/1999-mitsubishi-legnum-type-s-5214/
(Personally I would have included that information in the original question...)

On an import, disregard KMs unless it has some serious documentation. The car is still 17 years old, 95,000kms sounds too low, and conveniently sub 100,000... The kms are purely recorded on the dash, I could swap one out in 10mins (if the 2 dash clusters I had didn't already have more kms than my car)

Better to look at condition. Get an independent inspection done, if its a recent import that would mean it has been picked from a very small amount of Legnums still in Japan (a country of Tsunamis and radiation :p)

The car looks to have recaros, which is nice, but $12k is WAAAAY too much for an automatic, especially if it needs a major service (without explicit documentation, it definitely does). For that matter, you need to see if the front LCAs have been replaced recently.

The car appears bog stock, so consider what you will want to do to the car, even just the basics,: coilovers, aftermarket wheels etc.

A 1 year warranty sounds nice, but personal experience with car yards, they aren't worth the paper they are written on, especially if you do any modifications.

How much were you quoted for the major service? Does the mechanic know these cars well?

brichman

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 PFL Galant VR-4 (Roanne Red)
I'd honestly wait for a car to be sold from a member on here, even if slightly higher K's. That way not only do you have the reassurance that things have been done right, but its also fun scouring the forums for information regarding your car :)
I bought one off a member with a relatively well known past, and I've never looked back. I'm sure that If I bought one from a yard (which I was close to doing) things wouldn't have gone half as smoothly.

Muzza

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Murray
Drive
Holden sv6
Legnum vr4
Cheers for the advice guys
Ive only gotten a quote for mits fix and chasers so far between 1100 and 1500 ball park figures mits fix being the highest for a major service.
Yep the car is from ssv pretzil. Nah no recaros seats.
Dont mind buying from here with mods already but to keep the mrs happy whats on the dash board will keep her outta my hair lol.
Just a basic set up will do ( coil overs, brakes nothing to major yet:sneaky:)
Trying to make her understand imports is fustruting enough.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Post a WTB for a low km dash cluster (probably from NZ) and buy whatever you want :p

Probably what the exporter in japan did anyway ;)

Kms mean nothing on imports. Whenever anyone asks me the kms on mine, my standard answer is "Well, the dash says..."

Muzza

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Murray
Drive
Holden sv6
Legnum vr4
Haha i was just thinking that what she dont know wont hurt..
Got anymore pics of your beast pretzil..
Might go with the cluster idea.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
If you can wait try Jspec and iron chef. If not got get a JOC japanese odometer check done. Google it i think its about 50 bucks. Really best waiting for a well setviced car and jspec do have a few genuine low k cars ready for import.

Top Bottom