How do we reset our ECU?

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
how do we reset our ecu?? only thing i could find on here was to unhook the battery,,,,,,,, then there was something about a brake peddle pump and ignition combo or something anyhelps on clearing this up?

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Shouldn't be anything else beyond disconnecting the battery

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yea basically what above said, just disconnect the battery for 30minutes (its less but that's what ill do) and when they say "pump the brake" its just incase theres any charge still in the car will drain because of the brake lights if that makes sense.

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
oh yer i leave the lights on after i take the negitive off to discharge the caps anyways ;) so that all they ment by pump the brake sweeet cheers guys ;)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
What is the issue you are trying to correct?
If you're trying to remove an SRS light it is a different computer and wont go away.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
If it's SRS, you'll need someone with a MUT to clear.

I did start writing a tool to clear with an openport but it's not complete/not sure if theres interest to release?

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
nar was just to reset after fixing some error coeds, not srs light! but good to know :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
unhooking the negative terminal from the battery end should do the trick. At times people press to the brake to 'remove excess current' as it'll try and light up the brake lights. Others prefer to use horn or turning on their headlights.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Anyone know what the process is for swapping and ECU?
Is it necessary to install the new ECU and then reset by disconnecting the battery?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
All good to unplug and plug in. New ecu will be already cleared. You'll hear the isc make a bunch of noise as the ecu does its full initialisation once you turn the key to on.

Recommended to disconnect battery but I've unplugged/plugged mine in countless times with battery connected.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
That's what I thought. Had a remote tune done and was hoping for something I'd done wrong.
Cheers

Judder

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alex
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
If it's SRS, you'll need someone with a MUT to clear.

I did start writing a tool to clear with an openport but it's not complete/not sure if theres interest to release?
That sounds interesting - I'd be willing to help if you need a hand testing or potentially finishing off the programming :)

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Problem is I never commented the code and i wrote alot of this almost 10 years ago (more so the code that interfaces with the openport).

I'll try and wack it onto github and add comments to the code.

It's written in C#.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Problem is I never commented the code and i wrote alot of this almost 10 years ago (more so the code that interfaces with the openport).

It's written in C#.
It's good to know if you put onto github.

Judder

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alex
Drive
BTW while we're talking ECUs, where abouts is the ECU on our cars and what's the easiest way to access it? I have an ApeXi boost controller I need to wire in and first step is to find the ECU and the wires! Many thanks

Zecuel

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Lauri
Drive
Legnum VR-4 Type-S
The ecu is below the dash, in the middle. It can be accessed by removing the 2 plastic panels on the side of the center console, on both passenger & driver's side footwell. ECU itself is held down by a few bolts if I recall correctly.

Judder

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Alex
Drive
The ecu is below the dash, in the middle. It can be accessed by removing the 2 plastic panels on the side of the center console, on both passenger & driver's side footwell. ECU itself is held down by a few bolts if I recall correctly.
Fantastic - many thanks đź‘Ť

Leggie

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cody
Drive
1996 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

It's written in C#.
Wait, is this using libftd2xx? I just stumbled upon the code on GitHub last night as I was working on my own project to make a in-car computer capable of also performing/replacing MUT tool.

Top Bottom