How much will i need?

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
How much do you think i will need to import over what i want?

if im getting a legnum im going to do it right and not skimp on what i want, even if it costs a little extra or takes a little longer.
after spending a bit of time reading around this joint ive decided this is what i want:

99' or newer Black Legnum VR4 Type-S
manual
tan leather interior
sunroof
MMCS
good condition of course!

now i know this is probably the most popular combo around, but... its what i want. So, how much do you think i need to import it over, and get it on the road? and how long should i expect to wait to find such an example?

im 'estimating' a budget of $20K... would that cover it?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The problem will be finding a car that meets those needs.

I would worry about finding a black manual facelift first of all.

MMCS is largely useless, and the tan leather interior can always be added in.

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
The problem will be finding a car that meets those needs.

I would worry about finding a black manual facelift first of all.

MMCS is largely useless, and the tan leather interior can always be added in.

ok well scrub MMCS off the list, but id still like the tan leather already in the car.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Good luck - leather in a black manual is so freaken rare. As Brad said, you're better off shooting for a Series 2 Type S black manual with a sunroof, that's an extremely hard combo to find on its own. Seats and door cards can always be replaced. On average I'd say you'd see something like that (my suggestion, not yours) once every six to nine months, and you'll pay top dollar for it. $20k is a good ballpark figure to have in mind for complete on-road total - mine was about 18, and that's before I started buying parts for it (quite a few bits and pieces missing or broken). With the Australian market opening up and dealers getting wise to these cars (especially rare combos like this), there's now more demand than ever for them.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Interiors are indeed easy to swap. I've done it with my BLACK leather interior in about 1 hour with the help of Mpau

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
I think the request is funny. Be prepared to wait for that configuration, and if you find one, be prepared for it to be swept out from under your feet!

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I would just get one with what you cant easily change (eg sunroof, manual, facelift, type s) and as for colour, spend the price difference on a custom job. and the interior - well you may find one in white? :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Dude respraying a car is a seriously expensive job these days... And if you're actually changing the colour you really have to strip it right back to bare metal to do it right. I'd be surprised if you'd get change out of 10k :banghead:

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The colour change on my Silvia cost $3k. Sure, it was done by a guy I have been going to for the better part of 10 years, but still....

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
3k for a full colour change is cheap... did you remove the engine, all the interior, glass etc yourself to save $$? I think 10k would be about right for a drive in drive out price for a FULL colour change (engine bay, door jambs, all removable panels removed etc)... not just the external appearance.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Car was black, so just left the engine bay black. It has a black carbon bonnet so that works fine, and I wasn't going fo a show look anyway. But yeah it was drive in - drive out. I didn't strip the car at all. Car was painted with all glass etc in place.

There was $1500 worth of paint and $1500 worth of labour. Yes, he did it cheaply for me, but the point of my post is that you can do a lot better than $10k if you try.

Top Bottom