how quick are you

G

Unregistered
Just wanted to know if anyone here has timed their 0-100 or their quarter mile?

i timed myself the other day, i did three runs of 0-100 and each was a little over the six second mark. i think thats about what the factory spec was, so i'm happy.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I can get 14 seconds in my Wife's mum's 94 Nissan Micra... Woot!

G

Unregistered
A lot of us Poms have dragged these cars.

For a stock Legnum with a tiptronic box, you should be looking around 15 seconds for the quarter with a trap speed of 93ish MPH - that's for a straight forward run with no launching or other fancy tricks. There is however quite a variance with this - Some apparently stock cars will run a high 14 pass, whereas others are high 15's. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this and it applies to both facelifts and prefacelifts too.

The manuals are somewhat quicker than the tips (about +0.5 secs over the 1/4, depending on mods and driver), though the tips can launch harder if you're into that kinda thing.

G

Unregistered
i heard that about the vr4 too...i also heard it about the evo, but more extreme, apparently some of the evo 6's have some surprising donk even tho they were supposed to be limited to 206kw

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
that's pretty much exactly what i got as well... no launching - just idle... then foot down...

Just wanted to know if anyone here has timed their 0-100 or their quarter mile?

i timed myself the other day, i did three runs of 0-100 and each was a little over the six second mark. i think thats about what the factory spec was, so i'm happy.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
foot on the brake, leave it in D, press on the throttle and take it up to 2500rpm, and lift off the brake while flooring the throttle at the same time. You will be amazed at how fast the car launches. It is even more impressive on gravel when it accelerates at almost the same speed!

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Is drive quicker than shifting the tiptronic yourself ?

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Is drive quicker than shifting the tiptronic yourself ?

I asked Brad this a while back and he reckoned it was better to do it in D. I think he's right, the AT definitely seems to know the optimal shift points... plus I now have a free hand to wave goodbye to the opposition :p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
haha yep. Time and time again in drag racing it has been shown that the gearbox knows best if you're really trying to get that last 0.2 seconds out of the car.

In normal driving though, I still prefer the tiptronic, the extra control that you have over the gearbox more than makes up for the fact that you won't be shifting at the optimal point if you're revving all the way up to 7000rpm

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Yeh, after our last meet I've always driven around in Tip mode. You're quite right, it does give you more control, like if I want to downshift before a corner and hold that gear through it... or when overtaking for example.

I do find myself flicking it into neutral sometimes thinking I'm in Tip mode when I first get into the car... :redface:

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
A lot of us Poms have dragged these cars.

For a stock Legnum with a tiptronic box, you should be looking around 15 seconds for the quarter with a trap speed of 93ish MPH - that's for a straight forward run with no launching or other fancy tricks. There is however quite a variance with this - Some apparently stock cars will run a high 14 pass, whereas others are high 15's. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this and it applies to both facelifts and prefacelifts too.

The manuals are somewhat quicker than the tips (about +0.5 secs over the 1/4, depending on mods and driver), though the tips can launch harder if you're into that kinda thing.

That's strange...I find that really slow for that amount of power and weight. My TR magna had 160kW at the fly and 270Nm torque and weighs the same as a VR4 and I got 14.806@153.22km/h. Compared to 206kW and 323Nm, that should be down to low 14's. All the articles I read about these VR4's have them quoted in low 14's...I just find it really bizzare that people are getting such slow times, surely they're capable of faster than that in stock form. I know there's more wheels to be driven...but there's a substantial increase in torque and power...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yes, but AWD. I've heard it said that AWD loses between 20 to 30% of its power over 2 wheel drive vehicles due to increased drive train linkage friction and complexity. That would easily explain the similar performance despite the improvement in power...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Ryan - thats what I never drive in auto! You can always reverse the tip change though if you want to. Just swap over 2 cables and you make - equal to + and + equal to -

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Yes, but AWD. I've heard it said that AWD loses between 20 to 30% of its power over 2 wheel drive vehicles due to increased drive train linkage friction and complexity. That would easily explain the similar performance despite the improvement in power...

I realise that, I actually said "I know there's more wheels to be driven" in my post lol...but there's a significant increase in torque and power which should aleviate that problem. I still reckon a stock one is capable of more, I mean Mitsu generally underquote what their cars can do, the claimed a modest low 15 for the TJ VRX Magna and I've seen them do 14.7-8 stock as a rock. I just find it strange...It just makes me wonder if it's the drivers rather than the cars, no offence intended toward the owners who've had these times.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
It just makes me wonder if it's the drivers rather than the cars
Paul its ALWAYS down to the driver. Hell, you'll never get perfectly repeatable times using the SAME car and driver on different runs, let alone changing drivers. Remember your reaction time for takeoff will never be perfect, and some people will lag more than half a second after they get the green light before their car is moving. Depends on how experienced they are, how well they know that individual car, even how old they are (younger people have better reaction times, but they have less experience) just as much as how 'good' their driving is.

G

Unregistered
It's true about the driver, the only thing I would say is that over here, the 1/4 times are done on non-competitive days, so your reaction time is not added to the final time - The clock starts sticking as soon as you break the start/finish line - So we find that a 15 second car really is just a 15 second car.

I do agree though that with the right kind of launch, you could probably do better, but then I think that's less indicative of 'real world' performance - You don't launch on the road day in, day out!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Cool, I'm not meaning to start a "I'm the best driver ever" kind of thing, I hope it didn't come across that way. I just type stuff very matter-of-factly as I think it lol.

Hope I haven't ruffled any feathers. I know it always comes down to the driver. Sorry if I annoyed anyone lol :D

G

Unregistered
You can always reverse the tip change though if you want to. Just swap over 2 cables and you make - equal to + and + equal to -[/quote]

cool! please can someone show me how to do this, i don't know if its just me but i'm sure they feel around the wrong way.

Top Bottom