How to De-Badge the car?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I'm pretty sure some of you guys would want to de-badge your VR4's..

to get that full sleeper look..

what should be used to get rid of the sticky stuff?! and what if the sticky stuff has totally dried off or somewhat became really hard?

in some forums people said WD-40...

what do you guys think?

use WD-40 then wash off, followed by a cut-n-polish?!

G

Unregistered
Use a citrus spray, there's quite a few around. That shit is amazing. It's non-chemical too, which is always a plus. You can usually get it from Coles, or OfficeWorks, places like that.

G

Unregistered
I used a hair dryer to remove any stickers ... heats up the sticky and goes soft and it just peels away ...

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Just don't heat the sticker for to long, as the paint beneath will come off with it... not such a great look.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
yeh i used a hair dryer on my GSR. Just have to be careful with it, thats all. Then the badge came straight off.

Dont think ill be debadging the legnum though.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Naa, me either Simon. I like the few badges that they have, and I like the fact that heaps of people will look at it and say "what the hell is that?!?"

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I've been thinking I'd like to completely get rid of all badging except the small mitsi logo on the nose... Especially the 'Legnum' written behind the plastic on the rear of the Series 2... Although I'm betting you guys would think that's completely insane!

Does anyone think that's doable? I'm assuming taking the tailgate plastic off wouldn't be very hard, then its just a question of how the writing's built into the plastic, whether it can just be cut out or if you'd need to refill it with resin or something... Thoughts?

G

Unregistered
Find someone with a early version of the Facelift and swap the plastic cover over as the earlier ones had stickers saying legnum ...

nb:I learn't this info from Bradc, didn't want to take all the glory ... ;)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
^ lol

I won't be debadging my car, people will go WTF was that anyway.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the silver legnum on the back of later facelifts is just stuck on, you should be able to pull it off fairly easily. Mine doesn't have any Legnum on the back, it just has the diamond, then Mitsubishi on the left hand side, and VR-4 on the right hand side.

G

Unregistered
On my old car i tried ripping off the old tired badge, but it was stuck firm. I then had a rare moment of genius, and used some thick fishing line and started 'sawing' across the badge from one end to the other. This got through the adhesive and removed the badge easy, but left some adhesive on the paint. Metho/turps took away the rest of the adhesive just nicely. If you don't like the sound of metho/turps, then bug and tar remover will do the same i imagine.

Apparently this is a common way to remove badges...and deflated my one moment of genius

G

Unregistered
Heat gun, and fishing wire is what i have used int he past, it takes a fair bit of heat to ruin the paint on cars.

I am going to get rid of my Miti one ont he back this weekend, because it is broken :(

Top Bottom