How to fix my Air / Fuel ratio. It's baaaadddd!

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Dyno run. Clearly my air / fuel isn't good.

So what do I need to fix it. I'm going to chase down a miniceptor but that is kind of besides the point. The factory ECU shouldnt be this bad right?

Oxygen sensors where suggested.... so does that mean the EGO one down in the exhaust and the one in the intake?

Halp!

office.jpg

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
That's dangerously lean!! If O2 sensor (yes EGO in the exhaust, no O2 sensor in the intake) is stuffed generally they result in 0V and RICHER AFRs, not lean like you've got.... seems odd.

G

Unregistered
i would be checking for air leaks,
possible fueling issue? pump or fuel filter? could be the reg?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Seems like something is wrong hey...I think getting your hands on a miniceptor is a good idea also... as a matter of fact I think I saw one for sale here on the forums?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Hmmm..... I'll try injector cleaner.
I have an ARC airbox... but that's not going to be the issue right?
I have a couple of cans of that subaru upper engine cleaner. I'll have to give that a go.
Also i'll check for air leaks :|

So:
-injector clean
-air leaks
-*shrug*

:/

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
whats it like to drive? if, when revs rise, the car feels sluggish and hesitant to rev, def air leak. had that happen, right before a ic hose popped off lol. scared the **** outta me.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
It drives fairly ok, you can tell it isn't really 'smooth' when under load... but it doesn't feel sluggish or hesitant at all...

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I have been told that an ARC airbox is just as "bad" as a poo filter unless it too has cai, and the good'ol poo filter is renowned for messing up afr's

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Yeah could be that too.... It might be breaking the MAF

Didn't think it would cause it to lean out though, i would've thought i'd have done the opposite :confused:

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Dont stress yet, just wait to see what happens with the injector cleaner and stuff....

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I'm not stressed just pushed to find time as it is. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thing is I'm really not going to know its fixed until I get it on a dyno again.... which wont be until I'm getting the miniceptor tuned.

S'all good I imagine.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Vent to atmosphere blow off valve? Or bov leaking?

Wait.. that would make it richer wouldn't it? expecting more air, putting more fuel in..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if i was in the same position, i'd do a typical maintenance by checking the fuel filter, regulator and clean the injectors like everyone else said..

i'd leave the miniceptor last since it's the most expensive..

also try replacing your o2 sensor, that may also be the culprit..

good luck..

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
fuel pump dieing? had that happen to my old car. on acceration the car would pop and splutter.

i still reckon afm issue seeing how quickly it jumps all over the place. blocked filter or something would make it run consistantly lean.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
You have anyone near you who has a VR-4?

Have a workshop day where you swap some bits over to determine what it is, then relplace. From the sounds of it, you should be able to tell if the issue is fixed.

I would also try AFM and ECU.

Top Bottom