Hydraulic Adjustable Suspension

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I'm pretty sure hydraulic suspension mods are illegal on Oz roads, but I thought I'd bounce this off you guys to see who knows what. I would LOVE to have a car with a lovely low ride height that can lift up a few inches for speed bumps & driveways at the push of a button...

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Hydraulic or Airbags ? Good for mini trucks thats about all.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Yeah Hydraulics are illegal in NSW at the least.

How about that BOSE suspension system?! That's awesome!!

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

The 1989 - 1992 HG and HH GSR Galants had the Active ECS suspension. This was an airbag on the top of the strut, and a motor which adjusted the internal damper valves.
When it was working, it was a damn good system, just that when the struts failed, they were very expensive to service.
The main benefit of the system was that it had front and rear body roll sensors, along with acceleration and steering sensors and g force sensors. If there was a system similar to it for the Legnum, it is what I would go for.
Regards

Gavin

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Mark that's exactly what I DON'T want - that's just gay LOL (and to be honest I can understand why that kind of thing is illegal - imagine what would happen if one of your farkwit mates started screwing around with that while doing 120 round a corner...)

Yea Paul, absolutely, but BOSE haven't marketed a system yet and I bet it will be more than the cost of the car once they do...

Gav yea I've heard of that system - there's even reference to it in my Magna service manual, but I've never seen it. I agree it would be fantastic if we could get such a system for the VR4 :)

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
yeah i was going to get airbags put back in my GSR Galant but when i got the quote for a new system installed ($6000) it would have cost more than the car.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Yea Paul, absolutely, but BOSE haven't marketed a system yet and I bet it will be more than the cost of the car once they do...

Gav yea I've heard of that system - there's even reference to it in my Magna service manual, but I've never seen it. I agree it would be fantastic if we could get such a system for the VR4 :)

I'll find some info on the bose suspension system...I saw a vid of it in action ages ago...it actually reads the road in front of it so the suspension can get ready to take whatever is coming. The result was nothing short of amazing. And I totally agree on the price lol

The ECS system in the diamantes/magnas was horrrrrriiibbbllleeee. It was completely problematic and didn't work as well as it was intended to. The Diamante technology unfortunately suffered because it was quite archaic(sp), even the ABS system wasn't that great in it.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT

Here's a vid of the BOSE suspension. Not the original press release I first saw, but a good comparison movie :)

I bet this thing would be fricken complicated to calibrate... Unless it came with a fully programmed control computer and it was just plug-&-play, but something tells me it won't be released for aftermarket modding *sigh*

G

Unregistered
It's never been tried (Get the disclaimer in first!!) but there are Air-Strut setups in the USA that ***might*** fit.

Now - The 8G galant over there is quite a different beast despite looking similar and the front suspension is a conventional McPherson strut assembly rather than double wishbones.

However the 2G (1995-1999) AWD Mitsubishi eclipse, and the 7G USA Galant have a Very similar suspension assembly to the 8G JDM & Euro Galants. There are some differences - Ie on the Eclipse the droplinks bolt to the rear lower arm rather than to the hub. However the actual struts look identical.

It might be worth trying to get hold of a set of scrap but standard 2G USDM eclipse shocks and seeing if they'll fit a VR-4... Because if they do then it bodes well for a 2G Eclipse Air-Strut system fitting without needing a lot of modifying.

Just a thought/idea for you!!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Kieran you continue to impress. Thanks for the ideas - might explore that once I get the car :)

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the ideas - might explore that once I get the car :)

Good luck - it would be interesting to try it out. I have toyed with the idea but the Eclipse wasn't ever sold in the UK, so I'd have to find a set of scrap struts from the USA and get them shipped.... Which would be a bit pricey if was wrong and they didn't offer up! :eek:

The idea still intrigues me though.....:rolleyes::D

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
SA that video wasn't the one I saw either...but equally impressive!! Love the jump at the end :D

Top Bottom