Hydraulic Tensioner

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, my 100,000k service is getting close, so far I have everything needed except the hydraulic tensioner. Is it necessary to change this when doing the timing belt?

Gary

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
I would say yes because they changed mine when I did the timing belt..and I know you can get one delivered from MEEK...

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Do you think it was changed due to wear or because it was a $200 part ???

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Do it... I didn't on the Magna (mechanic said not to bother) and it failed 40k later so I had to do the major service all over again.
For peace of mind do it :)

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
First hand from a mechanic. REPLACE IT.
It wears and has a service life just like other parts... Would you change the belt and not the pulleys and seals? Doubt it. It's all about preventative maintenance. So get preventing!!

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
As things run on eachother they wear into a certain spot or routine if you will. Then 100k service comes along and you change the belt and the pulleys and inparticular the belt tension, this causes the hydraulic tensioner to start wearing or using a different area and usually leads to failure. Exactly the same happens to waterpumps, pulleys, bearings, belts even oil seals. I always recommend to replace them BUT only with Genuine items. There have been quite a few non gen items failing. Good piece of mind for a relatively small price tag. My 2c

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks guy for the input, I will be changing it when the time comes.

Gary

Top Bottom